HEIL BM-17 and a YAESU FTdx-3000

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by KH6CT, Dec 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KH6CT

KH6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi...
    Bought the BM-17 for several reasons... lightweight, durable, communications voice quality on RX and TX, and the bright yellow color (makes it easy for the XYL to see that I'm not to be interrupted).

Presently using the radio set with the Mic EQ OFF, Speech Processor OFF, RF Power at 100W, no AMPLIFIER, feeding a properly tuned 40M dipole and 20M Hex. ALC meter stays within the ALC range on the meter. My only concern is that I have to run the Mic Gain at nearly max to get anywhere near 100W on the radio's peak reading power meter.

Outside of my concern over the mic gain setting, the radio seems to work fine. Good DX and easy QSOs stateside. Not too many unsolicited "great audio" comments, but I never expected that from a "communications headset".

So, is it normal to have to set the mic gain so high, or am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks in advance... Steve KH6CT

2. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

I was hoping you'd have an answer by now. I have a similar issue (I think) with my Heil Pro Elite set and my FT-857D. The Pro Elite works quite well with my FTdx-3000 but I see low peak power on the 857 (compared to the 857 stock mic or the "remote mic" option. If I max out the audio gain on the 857 I get better peaks but I'm sure there will be distortion along with it. I looked at the "17" but didn't buy one and was hoping to use the Pro with the 857. Same "problem" I'll bet.

3. KH6CT

KH6CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi William...
    Thanks for your response and for your service in the Navy.
    It all may turn out to be just a normal situation with the BM17 and required high mic gain. But, I have never had a bad comment on the voice quality, and looking at the panadapter when I xmit, the signals are within the bandwidth limits for SSB. No splattering outside the limits.
    Thanks for mentioning the ProSet Elite. I have one of those sitting on the shelf just gathering dust. I'll plug it in again and see what happens with it and the mic gain issue. I'll let you know what happens.
    I did copy my entire initial post and sent it off to Heil Support, but haven't heard anything yet. Maybe after the holidays.

73, Aloha and Happy New Year,
    Steve KH6CT