ad: UR5CDX-1

HEDY LAMARR DAY 2020

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W2JLD, Oct 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

a lot of yl's made a contribution to ham radio but were never given the credit

see never got any money for her invention only recognition

while others may not see the value she brought to the table, during that time women were not in a man dominated industry.

look back at history and see how many women were taught morse code and ended up teaching others

we need to recognize what they brought to the table

N2AMM, KN4ACJ and W1YW like this.
  2. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. That is my own work and I'm quite proud of it. :) And yeah, gotta update that email. I'll send you a message.

3. W2JLD

id love to see one of hedy lamarr!!

4. KN4ACJ

KN4ACJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a very good idea! I'm working on a painting of the Golden Girls right now, but after that! :)

5. KD1GA

KD1GA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a HEDY LAMARR hand puppet as an adolescent.

6. K2GOG

K2GOG Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

HEDDY LAMAR did NOT invent spread spectrum; in fact she did not understand it which is why she enlisted George Antheil , an interesting composer and mathematician to help with the patent. Heddy did have some minor inventions, but the spread spectrum came for her Nazi husband that she left behind when she (wisely) fled from Germany early in WWII. Antheil was another story, composing some of the world's most awful music. K5CO

8. W2JLD

well i guess history must have gotten it wrong, thank you clarifying the misinformation that has been history for a long time, ill be sure to go back and rewrite history

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no evidence that supports the assertion on her Nazi husband 'inventing' freq hopping.

In fact, US patents require, even then, that vetting for prior art be complete and all inventors on the patent be 'named'.

Oftentimes people confuse ideas with inventions. Jules Verne did not invent the spaceship, for example.

A patented invention must be realizable as an 'embodiment' with 'utility' whereas ideas need not.

Here's the patent (Heddy is 'Markey')---

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?Docid...&SectionNum=&idkey=NONE&Input=View+first+page

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

George Antheil wrote this BTW. Many of you remember it:

W0PV likes this.
  11. MARVINHEDYLWEISS

MARVINHEDYLWEISS QRZ Member