Heavy Metal Rally

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Jan 10, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I listened a few times Saturday evening and noted some activity on 75m, but didn't attempt to participate. Didn't even turn on the filaments since heavy thunderstorms in the region covered 160 and 75m with S9+20 static crashes. This probably explains the disappointing level of participation. For many of us, trying to pull readable signals through heavy QRN is pure torture.

I rarely participate in these kinds of events to the point of keeping a formal log and scoring points, even when they are not meant to be a "contest". I just go about my normal operating activity, taking advantage of any abundance of AM signals on the air to work as many QSOs as I feel like.

2. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I completely forgot about it. Ray announced it in ER but neglected to give a date. I emailed him and he gave a suggestion for a weekend in Jan., but I forget which one. I remembered it mid-week and thought maybe it was over New Years. I don't know--for some reason it just didn't get in my wheelhouse. With ER bimonthly, Ray needs to announce it in a big way in the Sept. Oct. issue. I've been meaning to get on 160 and saw the thunderstorm activity and that was discouraging. Another thing I am trying to use for propagation study is the ionosondes as described by KL7AJ in the Jan. QST. https://www.digisonde.com/stationlist.php

3. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. I heard the static crashes and found something else to do.

I didn't hear about the rally until Monday evening.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since it started I generally listen/ but I totally missed it this year too.
    I just like tuning around hearing all the great signals.
    And once in awhile I have fired up my Gates Broadcast transmitters
    73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on, lots of big signals on 80, four or five qso's going from 3865 to 3900, but not much mention of the heavy metal rally.
    A non event.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

A combination of factors. Insufficient notification in ER, ER going bi-monthly, and heavy thunderstorm static during the event.