ad: CQMM-1

Heavy Metal Rally - February 4, 2017 - The Tradition Continues

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by WA2CWA, Jan 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just received this from Ray, at Electric Radio. It also appears in the January 2017 edition of Electric Radio Magazine.
    This information provides the reasons for the Heavy Metal Rally and the basic rules and methods of operation during the rally period. Ray would really appreciate feedback in regards to the rally and comments and pictures from all the rally participants. While emphasis is on "Heavy Metal" rigs, participation by all AM'ers is encouraged. And, please, no "net-type" activity where someone holds a frequency for hours and continually takes/runs a list. It's easy to QSY to a clear frequency and call an old fashion CQ to make a contact. It really doesn't take much effort. The rally can be fun for SWL's to listen to and others who normally operated different modes.

Over the last 25 years, I've seen dozens and dozens of floor to ceiling transmitter pictures in ER and all over the Internet that were restored and supposedly "on-the-air" worthy. Let's fire up this stuff for this rally and make KDØHG proud as to why we all spent the time and effort to get this heavy metal equipment up and running.

Attached Files:

2E0DED, AF6LJ and KM1H like this.
  2. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Im glad to see the graphic emulated the National FB7:D
    http://www.ohio.edu/people/postr/mrt/NatFB7.htm

I use mine often, the FB XA version with crystal filter, when also giving the similar era TX and airing.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    2E0DED and AF6LJ like this.
  3. WA2CWA

I had a National FB-7 for years. Found it at a yard sale for $2. Cool receiver. It eventually found a new home in the Chicago area. I'm still working on the Vernon Chambers 813 rig and power supply for the rally. Receiver will either be the R-388, R-391, or the HRO-500.

AF6LJ likes this.
  4. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be a fun event, I shall be listening...
    Too embarrassed to say on what since I have not had the time to safely test the SX-62. :)

5. WA2CWA

Ray at ER Magazine would really appreciate everyone's feedback (even if it's 140 characters or less :) ) in regards to the rally and any comments on stations heard and/or worked.

AF6LJ likes this.
  6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I still havent put my Chambers 813 rig thru an overhaul yet. Came from Freeport NY and reportedly built in NJ. Looks like an extremely well built carbon copy but no idea if it was ever fired up; I did verify that the filaments are all OK and the tubes, minus 813, check out fine on a Hickok 752A. It came with an unfinished modern style PS but with a NOS UTC transformer and no choke:eek: which I have several along with proper bleeders.

Im glad to hear that Sue as it doesnt take much to wipe out a bandswitch wafer from a leaky cap and the audio and power iron is equally fragile along with a few other small parts.

7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool
    I need to do a lot of testing before applying power to that receiver.
    I bought a manual for it, a decent quality reprint.
    I am hoping to have time this year to get on that.
    :)