Heathkit Station

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KA5SDC, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

But you need radials....

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And they are not pushed way beyond ratings.

In most SSB applications, 6146s are run Class AB1, with a form of ALC (automatic drive reduction). In modulator use....probably not.

In any event, a pair of 807s or 6146s solves the EL-34/6CA7 problem in the Apache.

I am still keeping an eye out for round-holder crystals for you. I know I had some, including some 20 meter fundamentals (!)....but where did I put that box?

I gave up on crystal control when I upgraded from Novice/Technician to Advanced in 1968. The main reason was cost; a used VF-1 from W2FNT was about the cost of a few crystals.

But I still keep a few ham-band crystals around for testing.

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. N2EY

IIRC, that transmitter at the right is a GSB-100.

Look carefully at the VFO in that rig.....it's a dead ringer for the VFO section of a WW2 ARC-5 transmitter.

73 de Jim, N2EY

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KA2PVT

KA2PVT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just picked up a mint Apache. Recapped the power supply, and usual switch cleaning, linkage lube, alignment. Rig works great. Don't know how far you want to go with the audio, but the audio, I'm running out board audio processing with frequency response 100 to 5.5khz. I had to limit the high frequency response as I swept the tx response at least to 10 khz after the mods. I can do extended transmissions with no problems. I'd say go for it. Only weighs 98 lbs.

6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not familiar with the rig, but I wonder if it wasn't partly built out of stripped down surplus ARC-5 transmitters, like one of the Central Electronics SSB transmitters was.

7. N2EY

Which Central Electronics SSB transmitter do you mean?

The 10A, 10B and 20A don't use ARC-5 parts. The companion VFO, which I think they called the 458, is a modified BC-458 with an outer cabinet to match the 10A/10B/20A. But it's just a VFO.

The later 100V, 200V and 600L use no surplus that I can see.

Google "GSB-100" - it's interesting.

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For the 6CA7 tubes I do not consider $15.95 or $17.95 to be expensive. Of course, if you get into the audiophool realm where the color of the plate, or color of the base, makes a difference, then that is a different matter!

Glen, K9STH

9. N2EY

One has to wonder, though....how long will they last in an Apache?

Just for fun I went to the online site that has old Allied catalogs. In 1958, when the Apache was introduced, a Mullard EL-34/6CA7 was $3.70. That's $33.01 in today's money!

10. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's another site with some more outrageous prices for NOS EL34's.

https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/power-tubes/el34-6ca7