Heathkit Station

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by KA5SDC, Apr 23, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KA5SDC

KA5SDC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am being called by the vintage AM bug. I am especially interested in the early Heathkit sets. Would a Marauder/Mohawk/Warrior set make a decent AM set? Is the Apache transmitter better suited than the Marauder?

I must be crazy to be considering this. :)

2. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No crazier than a lot of us. :) Here's mine:

[​IMG]

W4PG, K3XR and W7UUU like this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The "Godhead of Heathkit AM" no question.... sure, they don't "match" in appearance but in operation? No equal of the era IMO

Dave
    W7UUU

WD4IGX likes this.
  4. WD4IGX

I will say that the Mohawk is much better than it's reputation. You DO need to know how to use gear of that vintage, though. The switched LC bandwidth filtering isn't, of course, as good as crystal filtering by a long shot but it DOES work, and is far better than not having it.

AC0OB and W7UUU like this.
  5. WD4IGX

And having an additional IF gain control in addition to the usual AF and RF helps too.

But if someone is used to a modern radio and just leaving the RF gain full blast and controlling volume with just the AF then they are going to have... a less pleasant experience than they could with the Mohawk, until they learn better.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You rate the DX-100 over the Apache?

73 de Jim, N2EY

7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Never had an Apache - so I must sheepishly say "no" having run two DX-100's over the years... but the Mohhawk was such a delightful receiver that's another story - at least the one I had the pleasure of using... amazing receiver and I had NO dislike of the DX-100 transmitter I paired it with at the time

Respectfully,

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They're all good! The DX-100 has one advantage over the Apache: 160 meters (Apache doesn't cover 160, even though the Mohawk does).

For me the ideal pairing with the Mohawk is the Viking II with 122 VFO....but then it's not all-Heathkit.

The Mohawk was priced a nickel less than $275, which was much less than similar receivers such as the National NC-300/303 ($450) and the Hallicrafters SX-101 ($395). The Apache was $230.

73 de Jim, N2EY

9. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

A Marauder is not necessary for AM and none are heard on the air these days on any mode.

Apache has a way better modulation transformer than the DX-100 but is a little more difficult to work on.

If nighttime operation is planned a Mohawk will make life difficult. Otherwise they sure look nice.

10. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

The Marauder would be a poor choice for AM. Get a transmitter with plate modulation. The Apache would be fine.

AD5HR likes this.