Heathkit SG-8 RF generator-new find

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KJ6ZOL, Sep 16, 2018 at 5:11 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ6ZOL

KJ6ZOL Ham Member QRZ Page

I sometimes go to the little flea market held every other Saturday at the Placer County Fairgrounds in Auburn, Calif. One of the regular sellers is a Storage Wars groupie, one of those guys who buys the contents of abandoned self storage lockers sight unseen then hocks the goods at the flea market. About two months ago he hit pay dirt-a locker filled with all sorts of vintage electronics, much of it military. He has a BC-312 in the pile, along with various other stuff. I saw a Heathkit RF signal generator in the pile, and got it for $5.

sg8-1.JPG

The front. Dusty, of course, but all there.

sg8-2.JPG

I've seen these weird connectors before on vintage Heathkits. I suspect they're some sort of archaic coax connector. When I rehab this rig I'll have to chop these out and wire in standard SO-293 connectors.

sg8-3.JPG

Chassis, top view. Coil tube is 12AU7, chassis mount tube is 6C4. The 6C4 is dated 1958, so I suspect this rig was sold and assembled around 1960. Both tubes are labeled "HEATHKIT".

sg8-4.JPG

Redoing the old coax connectors might be a chore. Apparently the wires were soldered directly to the center of the connectors. I'm not sure how to go about a rewiring.

sg8-5.JPG

The electrolytic cap (blue) is a 2 in 1 cap of the same principle used in some postwar RCA Victor civilian radios. The black cap may be a Sprague Black Beauty. A recap looks straightforward.

So this one goes in the closet with the rest of the projects until I get around to it.

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The connectors are actually Amphenol single button microphone jacks. Heath used a lot of them on their test equipment.

Instead of replacing them, if you don't want to get the proper matching connector (they are still readily available), you can take a normal PL-259 connector and cut off the center pin so that it is about 1/4th-inch long. Although, technically, there is a slight difference between the threads in the PL-259 and the Amphenol connector, the PL-259 will screw on without any problems.

Glen, K9STH