Heathkit SB-230 Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WA6MHZ, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You could start with the 8873 datasheet. It shows worst-case IP = 500mA The only documentation I have for the SB-230 is the schematic, which doesn't say what type of fuse. What was in the amplifier? If it was ¾A, ask yourself why it was blown.

2. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 The Funderberg gold-sputter test might be in order.
    http://www.somis.org/Goldmeltballs.html
    Do not assume that a tube with loose gold meltballs inside is useless. Phone me if you detect gold leakage and I will explain how to move the meltballs out of harm's way.

3. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I would do is limit the drive to 50-60W and a good tube should result in 500W+ out. A blown grid fuse means that the grid was already well overdriven before the fuse blew so Id be real careful in the future.

Ive been using a SB-230 I converted to 6M about 25 years ago (A low cost Dayton score with a bad tube and a good used one a few aisles away for cheap) for portable work and would be interested in that NOS tube from New Zealand.

Carl

4. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 With A0 the rating is 350mA max. With SSB or pulse tuneup 500mA is max. To see cathode damage from overdrive see photo on p.17 in "Parasitics Revisited" Part-1 in the September, 1989 QST Magazine,. If a 0.75A grid fuse blows in an 8873, odds are that it was from an intermittent UHF parasitic osc., not from overdrive.
    If you do not have this issue of QST, e-mail me at r@somis.org and I will send a JPG of p.17 to you. - note - the file is 9MB.

5. WA7PRC

I don't have it but, since I have zero interest in using that tube, no thank you. Also, if a JPG is 9MB, the resolution is WAY too large. Emailing such a large file is silly. Back to the plonk file.

6. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got the 9-38PF Cap for the plate tuning of the 6 meter circuit. I also have the full writeup done by fellow 6 Meter enthusiast Terry N6CW here in town on his mod for the 6M conversion. Think I will recap and rediode the PS first, and install protection circuitry. Also have to score some 8 gauge wire for the final coil. I SURE don't want to build this thing only to have the 8873 blow out! Already saw 500W out of it. I don't like the meter in the thing. The SB-200 had a large robust meter while the 230 has a little RINKYDINK meter. Maybe I will redo the front panel to incorporate new metering. This doesn't have to be a Museum piece if it is going to be in operation. Too late for the June VHF contest, but it should be ready to go for 2013!

7. WA7PRC

I guess you're going to convert it, after all. Soft copper tubing can be found in 1/8" diameter. #8 is 0.1285" OD. The tubing would be easier to bend and lighter.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It really is a tough decision. Keep it cherry for a Museum piece (For 100% complete SB-104 line), or convert it to 6. I need a 6M PA badly and was going to convert the SB-200, but universally it is said the 230 is a far better choice because the tube is good for VHF/UHF which the 572s are marginal at. So maybe I will just pull the front panel, put it in a case as a Mockup of a SB-230, and build my own front panel with the new meters. I don't need a bandswitch or most of the final tuning parts (I will use the Plate cap for a load cap on the conversion). Someday I may come across another SB-230 I can grab to use for the Museum. maybe one with a blown tube or one butchered up.

The Antenna relay needs to be replaced with a Dow Key for better RF Switching at 50 Mhz. I have a Plate HV and I meter. Need one for Grid and RF output.
    so this won't look like a SB-230 after I am done, but it will be a spectacular 6M Kilowatt!

9. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 the whole page is pretty detailed so I had to scann it at 500dpi to stop the herringbone effect. Here's a cropped version of only the 8873 with the damaged cathode:

qst.sept.89.p.17crop.jpg

10. AG6K

AG6K Guest

 Eimac lists the drive to 8873 as 26w. Exceeding 350mA of anode-I key-down may cause cathode flaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.