Heathkit sb-200 rf choke

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KE0VNY, May 3, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE0VNY

KE0VNY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking for a replacement for RFC3 in the manual which is 45-4 heath part number. 1.1mh rf choke. Just got this amp and noticed it's burnt. I saw there was a service bulletin saying that it can burn out and cause breakers to trip but did not see a fix for it. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.
    7 3
    KE0VNY 20210501_180124.jpg

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Being burned indicates that the blocking capacitor failed. You should replace both. I have both of you are interested.

W1PEP likes this.
  3. KE0VNY

KE0VNY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very interested, out of curiosity what cap are you referring to? Because I did find a capacitor installed backwards. 20210502_133905.jpg 20210502_143215.jpg

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Both the 20uf and 2 UF are positive ground. They are not backwards. They both should be positive ground due to the voltage required is a negative voltage . You should replace them both. I restore these amps and have all these parts. The blocking cap is the doorknob cap up above that I was referring to. You should also replace the parasitic suppressors as well. Send me an email to
    gudguyham@aol.com and I’ll fix you up with everything you need to change plus the Harbach kits build and modified against RFI.

KD2ACO likes this.