Heathkit SB-200 and Kenwood TS-590s

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K3HMG, Apr 27, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. K3HMG

K3HMG Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok makes sense to use the DIN connector so I’ll pick one up there not that expensive. One last dumb question. Let’s say I follow the suggested set up with the foot pedal......

so i get the foot pedal, plug the amp cable on the pedal into the amp, install a din connector on the other cable end as instructed, plug the DIN into the back of the Kenwood, and for now keep the stock hand mic. What would be the sequence for transmitting? If the foot pedal is keying the amp and the Kenwood would I still key the hand mic? Or simply depress the foot pedal and begin to speak? In other words I mean if the hand mic is kept for now, when I depress the foot pedal does the pedal bypass the PTT button on the hand mic?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That will depend entirely on whether the hand mike is "active" (mike element in line) with or without the PTT being pressed.

If the mike is active and the PTT button only switches the transmitter and not the microphone, you could just press the foot pedal and "talk" without pressing the PTT at all. If it's not, you could re-wire the mike internally to make it active all the time, bypassing the internal PTT switch. I would do that for sure if the mike wasn't active all the time.

This varies with microphone internal wiring. I don't have a 590S to test this.

Of course, a better solution (long term) would be to use a different, better microphone that doesn't even have PTT, as with the footswitch you don't need it. I prefer "boom" microphones mounted in swivel, extendable booms to I don't have to use my hands for anything regarding the microphone, and I can position the mike (and boom) any way I wish, including pulling it forward to speak into it or pushing it far away when I don't want to. Plus, they usually sound better, anyway. "Studio grade" mikes (no PTT) can cost as little as $20 or so, and they are all "boom mount" type designs.

K3HMG likes this.
  3. K3HMG

Many thanks sir, I will look into the studio mics, it was on my list of to do’s anyway ;)

4. WB2WIK

If money is an object, check out the Behringer SL85S. It's $20 almost everywhere and pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-Dy...ocphy=9031146&hvtargid=pla-882749320311&psc=1

It uses an XLR-3 connector as most studio mikes do, but has no PTT switch (it does have an "on/off" switch to disable the mike if you want to, but that has nothing to do with PTT).

I use Heil PL2T booms, which isn't so cheap but is quite good and allows "hiding" the mike cable inside the boom so you don't see the cable at all, except where it plugs into the mike.
    [​IMG]

There are certainly cheaper booms available that will hold the mike.

K3HMG likes this.
  5. K3HMG

I picked up the Heil foot pedal. What cable to connect mic to Kenwood?

I will be wiring the din on the foot pedal simply to eliminate wires visible from front. After researching options I found this one.......will it work? Little pricy for cables but I will shop around for best price ones. I usually operate off the buy it once mind set so I do prefer quality. Open to other options as well....

https://www.amazon.com/CC-1-XLR-K-Balanced-Heil-Sound-Microphone/dp/B00AR0B4LC

6. K3HMG

do I still need to change the keying voltage using the FS-2 pedal to protect the ts-590?

7. WB2WIK

Sure, assuming the TS-590S uses that 8-pin connector.

K3HMG likes this.
  8. WB2WIK

Nope. The keying voltage from the SB-200 will never touch the Kenwood in any way -- it's fully isolated by the two switches in the pedal.

K3HMG likes this.
  9. K3HMG

Awesome thx

10. K3HMG

yep sure does. ;)