ad: SDRKits-1

Heathkit HW-104 Thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh Dear........... that PA board was a mess..... Looks like the Zed is a bit screwed up also. Hopefully the RIT mod won't be so hard to unravel. The Tempo One manages a good RIT circuit using all passive parts save for one vericap diode.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking at the Schematic, there are 2 places the HW-104 could be hosed. Either the ALC/Filter board, or the Pre-Driver transmitter board. I can locate the problem quickly with my 200Mhz scope, but it is too close to worktime to get the radio out again. Unfortunately, if the problem is on the PreDriver board, I am screwed until I score an Extender board, as all adjustments need to be made on that.

3. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am impressed! Brings back memories from 1979 when I built my first rig--an HW-101. That's when I first really learned to solder.

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks good. I passed on one of those at Dayton last year; would be nice to put a -104 and an HR-1680 together in the shack.

5. WA6MHZ

Won a SB-104 PREMIX PCB on Ebay (Pricey though, cost me half as much as the whole radio did!!) and hope that will help it out. If not, I have to look for the TX IF board. If that doesn't fix it, I have alotta spare boards for my SB-104 then

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can fix it....

I'm STILL waiting on my display...

7. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing the 104s had going for them was they looked good. Now, with the problem getting RF transistors and other headaches associated with these radios, Id rip out the guts and design my own rig into the cabinet.

You can make extender boards with perfboard and #14 wire. I think you can still get the solderable connector ends from Mouser. Just line up the wires on the perfboard and hot glue them down.

8. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

The toroids and silver micas on that board (tx if) have a serious problem with aging. You could be getting a board in the same condition. Getting full output on all bands can be quite a chore!

9. WA6NEQ

WA6NEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi, I have an SB-104A and was reading this because I'm going to pick up an HW-104 tomorrow. I had low power from my SB-104A initially. I cleaned both the male pins of the chassis and the female pins of the boards first with rubbing alcohol and then with DeOxit. I did this twice. Improve it but still intermittent. Every one of the female connectors on the boards has a pointed tab about 2/3 of the way up on the connector. This tab provides tension to make good contact with the male pin of the chassis. I used a small flat screwdriver to push this tab in towards the center of the female connector, about 1/2 way in. Then I reinstalled the boards. All of the intermittent issues were gone and I was back up to 100W output! You might try this. These radios are known to develop board connector issues after so many years. Happens to all of them. 73 - WA6NEQ

10. WA6MHZ

Thanks, I did that on the Female connectors. The big advantage now is I have a SB-104 Extension board comng, that cost me ALOT of money, but atleast I have a chance. Also scored the correct power supply HP-1144A, and have all the boards to sub now. If it STILL doesn't work, then I guess I have alot of spare boards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.