ad: Amateur-1

Heathkit HG-10 VFO off by 2 Mhz higher on 80 meters

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by K1OIK, Jun 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, Stew was my first across the Pond contact on Top Band when I was just 14, and running a genuine 10 watts input !

As I've mentioned elsewhere, almost everyone here in Britain started out on 160m . . . it was an easy band to build an AM/CW transmitter for . . and even the worst WW2 surplus receivers worked fine on Top band.

My first homebrew Tx had lots of problems (FM-ing on phone . . . chirp on cw!). So I learned from my mistakes and my next rig was excellent, and very compact - only slightly bigger than that Codar AT5. It was so stable on CW that I could key the whole rig to get full break-in on CW . . . and I built in a compressor system, so that even though many stations were now on SSB and I was still using my AM rig, my audio was so loud they thought I was on SSB too!

As I had several locals who were into working DX on 160m, that became my main interest . . . and is still to this day ! (one of them was Dave G3SZA, who some of you may now know as AA0RS)

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AWESOME!!!

Just one question:

What did you use for antennas?

One of the reasons many hams, including myself, have limited or no 160 meter use is the size of antennas vs. the size of our yards (what you'd call a garden). Getting on 80 meters is hard enough with our postage-stamp building lots!

What did you use? Or, were you in a place where there was lots of space and tall trees?

73 de Jim, N2EY

3. G3YRO

Because DX on 80m is all Low-Angle, people who want to work DX all use big verticals.

Many of those 80m DX-ers then came down to 160m (as it's too easy on 80) . . . and PRESUMED the propagation is the same . . . it ISN'T!

It's generally much more High-Angle . . . I guess because it's much more multi-hop.

So I have ALWAYS used horizontal antennas to work DX on 160m . . . and done LOADS of comparisons with other Gs using big verticals with proper radial systems . . . and there is usually very little difference. I'm talking about all over the world, NA East Coast, West Coast, S. America, Africa, JA, VK/ZL.

And let's face it, the pioneering W1BB always used an Inverted Vee dipole!

At my parent's QTH it was a Hotel, so I had lots of space. I used an end-fed half-wave, simply tuned against the central heating system. At subsequent QTHs I've either used end feds, or dipoles (like at my current QTH)

How do I get a 160m dipole up in an ordinary-sized garden? By taking one leg across the street to a neighbour's chimney, or to a convenient tree !

Having said that, a lot of locals round here just put loading coils on the end of their W3DZZ trap dipoles, with an extra 10ft of wire each end (often just doubling back underneath) - and those coils act as RF Chokes on the higher bands . . . some just use an end-fed wire 50 - 90ft long, with some loading. None of them are big signals . . . but they can work round the country OK.

Roger G3YRO

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    W7UUU and N2EY like this.
  4. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The K2AV folded counterpoise is a popular compromise for 160 meter hams in this country who have limited space for radials. I'm going to try one since my rocky soil precludes installing radials.

N2EY likes this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not open a new thread that does not match this thread title ?

I get tired of this thread coming on top for nothing related to Bert's VFO problem.

I keep looking, Thinking he got it fixed.

Only to find out about antennas now.

I have a 302 in my Hot Rod Lincoln.

6. G3YRO

I guess because nobody actually WANTED to start a different topic . . . but people often ask a question about something somebody commented !

I agree that Threads being hi-jacked and going off-topic can be annoying . . . but I figured the Heathkit VFO problem was resolved, so no big deal.

Roger G3YRO

N2EY likes this.
  7. N2EY

All good stuff.....thanks!

A wavelength on 160 is so long that one can gave a ground wire a few feet long and not have "RF in the shack" problems.

Another trick: Feed the feedline of an ordinary HF dipole against ground, so the dipole acts as a top loading hat. That's how I made my first 160 meter QSO.

Threads don't get "hijacked" - they evolve. One point in a discussion leads to another. If someone wants to talk about the Heathkit HG-10 VFO, in this thread, there's nothing to stop them.

73 de Jim, N2EY

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The apex of my 80m cage inverted vee is at 70' AGL and fed with about 85' of coax. I removed the choke at the apex, and shoved about 1000' of radial wire into the ground. The ATU in my 'Kenmore' TS-850SAT is able to tune it on 160. A vacuum relay w/ 12VDC coil at the shack entrance does the switching...
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I feed DC to the relay via the feedline w/ a bias tee:
    [​IMG]

This fits in my 100'x124' (0.28 acre) lot.

Bryan WA7PRC
    http://www.tinyurl.com/wa7prc-80m-160m

N2EY and W7UUU like this.
  9. N2EY

Bryan - DOH! - I should have remembered your setup! I've seen your webpage more than once.

100' x 124' - wish I had that much room!

If it were my setup (and it isn't), I'd run a separate control wire for the relay rather than using DC injection. A comment, not a criticism.

73 es TNX de Jim, N2EY

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

It took me several years to realize it could work. If I ever finish it, my 160m amplefire will be able to tune a wide load range. CIN, COUT AND L will be variable. It should tune about Z = 25Ω to 500Ω. For now, 100W seems to work mostly OK.
    All the lots are about that size here in suburbia. :)
    A bias tee is easy and inexpensive... a coupla RF chokes and some disc ceramic capacitators. :)

W7UUU likes this.