ad: M2Ant-1

Heathkit HA-14 Restoration thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought some black matte spray paint at Home Depot today for the TR-4 cabinet After a nice lunch at ELKS, I came back here to work and hammered out the chassis. Very tedious and time taking.
    32 separate holes were drilled , half of them tapped and the other half countersunk. The 2 top plates were not mounted yet until I have the transformer ready to mount. There is so much room in this 15 inch chassis! It is really sturdy! I can stand on it and not compress it at all! I remember a metal place up in Escondido where I can buy flat sheets of aluminum. Thats where I got the perforated aluminum I needed to make the top shield of the SR-400. I will hafta see if I have some of that left. I know I have a whole sheet of it but it is stainless steel. I can't even begin to cut that with the SHEAR! The shear doesn't like thick metal at all. In fact we use it to cut PCBs so I break it the boss will have KITTENS!!!! The Harbor Frieght shear is very delicate!

But all measurements agree closely within a Millimeter or so on the Chassis!
    [​IMG]

QRZed is witnessing the FRANKENSTEIN type CREATION here of a new entity!

2. WA6MHZ

It really sucks having to work on WORK STUFF here at work!! Takes away time from my HOMEBREW CREATIONS!!! But tomorrow back to the grindstone! Next weekend is taken up by the SANTEE STREET FAIR!

3. WB6MMV

WB6MMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat: I dropped the two sets of Millen HV connectors in the mail this morning. According to the crack USPS website, they should arrive on the 29th.

Enjoy

Ken WB6MMV

4. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Pat, what do you use the cut the aluminum L channel? I need to make a cage for a homebrew amp and I'd like to make clean cuts like yours.

Pete

5. WA6MHZ

Pete it is a cutoff machine, I found at Harbor Freight, not too pricey, think it was like $30 or so
    [​IMG]

it has a fiber type wheel that goes right through aluminum, haven't tried it on any thing else, but I would figure it has to be soft metal. The clamping mechanism works great and holds the piece being cut right in place. The precision is remarkable I can cut within a millimeter or so. Usually the cut is the width of the disk, no wobble and the cut is very clean. I just file off the melted metal that is chaff. Don't see a name on it but it is highly recommended. U can probably do the same with a proper disk in one of those wood cutoff saws

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Those will cut mild steel and nearly everything else except for hardened metals with stock composition wheel.
    You can get other cutting wheels that will cut harder stuff.
    The one thing you have to be careful of is keeping the cutting wheel properly dressed, if it chips it an come apart while cutting and that can send you to the ER...

7. WA6MHZ

What I have to do is hide all the metal dust it produces. The boss would have KITTENS if he came in and caught me doing the cutting. a little metal dust can ruin microwave equipment! So I have to put newspapers up to catch the dust

8. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well when you have to dress the wheel take it out back..........

9. WA6MHZ

Don't know what U mean about dressing the wheel. I never put any oil on it or such

10. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice set up, Pat...

I have a Makita 10" compound sliding miter saw... I wonder I dare try one of those blades on it? I have a dust collection system, so the dust isn't an issue.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.