ad: KF7PMW-1

Heathkit HA-14 Restoration thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

just got back from HOME DEPOT with ths aluminum!!

WOW!!! IT SURE WOULD Have been cheaper to buy one of those extruded or potted cases! BY A LONG SHOT!!!
    here in my hand is $50 worth of Aluminum angle metal and bars!

but when done I should be able to drive a TANK over this box!!!
    Also homebrew Contest judges will be more impressed that I made the actual box from scratch too! STill hafta score some aluminum sheeting for the side panels
    Time to start measuring and cutting. I can make the box without the Xfmr in hand
    The bar that will support the XFMR is 1/8 inch thick and for about a 5 inch run should hold that XFMR up fine.
    HEY ITS MEMORIAL DAY!! I am here at work, but not working on work junk!!!

2. WB6MMV

WB6MMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pat:

In reading your thread, I note that I have two complete sets (NOS) of the Millen HV connectors. I sure won't use them, and I would like to see them go to a good use. I can send them to you if you will cover postage. Let me know and I will drop them in the mail to what ever address you wish.

Ken WB6MMV

3. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This method is accurate if certain criteria are met.

The important criteria is that the series resistor must be considerably larger than the meter resistance Ten times is good, more is even better.

The method is highly inaccurate if the series resistor is too small.

Since the 0-500 uA meter is probably in the range of 100 ohms, the series resistor should be at least 1000 ohms. More is better. Of course this means a higher supply voltage will be needed but that's no big deal.

If anybody wants to see the math, I'll be glad to show it.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. WA6MHZ

Thanks KEN! That will be great. My addy is correct here on QRZed I can send U payment right away to Ur addy if U tell me how much. Mail goes out tomorrow morning. (Tuesday after Memorial Day)

5. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The high voltage connectors will be a good addition to the project.

Those die cast boxes run about thirty four dollars for the size you need.
    So yes one of those by the time you had it in your hand would have been cheaper.

6. WA6MHZ

OK TODAY'S MEMORIAL DAY PROGRESS!!!!

One of the finest tools I have bought is this cutoff saw from Harbor Freight. It makes beautiful cuts through thick aluminum bars like they are butter!

[​IMG]

An extruded box just wouldn't do for the PRECISION I need in this project.
    Each piece was cut to exact size and then filed burr free I have a total of FOURTEEN pieces cut that form a box frame as shown

[​IMG]

of course lots of hard work ahead! Each piece will need several holes drilled , countersunk and tapped so it goes together like an ERECTOR SET! Then the top frame must be designed and built that holds the meter assembly and mesh ventitlation top.
    ALmost time to go over to ELKS for the Memorial Day BBQ!

7. WA6MHZ

So the base box will be 3 inches high, 6 inches deep and 15 inches wide!
    The transformer mounts on those 2 bars in the center so it will be balanced. The HP-24 was way HEAVY on on one side. STill hafta score some sheet aluminum somewhere for the sides. Will also install an AC RELAY to switch in the SOFT START circuit, and incorporate the the soft keying
    SO this will be a tricked out HP-24!!

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  8. WB6MMV

WB6MMV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Pat: no problem, will drop in express mail tomorrow. You can send me a check to cover postage when you get them. No rush.

Have fun.

Ken WB6MMV

9. AF6LJ

Don't forget to paint the chassis....
    Needs to be GREEN It's The Law...

10. AF6LJ

While you are at it...
    The transformer would look good painted with high temp flat BLACK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.