Heathkit HA-14 Restoration thread

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6MHZ, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Build one!

All you need is a roller coil from an ARC-5 tx and two variables to build an Ultimate Transmatch.

2. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I will find those at the HARTFORD swapmeet

3. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember reading that article in QST, that is a rather versatile tuner.

4. WA6MHZ

Those will fit in my suitcase and probably wouldn't get the TSA too excited.

5. WA6MHZ

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I do that kind of stuff all the time... It does give you more practice with the chop saw!

7. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember reading that article when that issue of the magazine came out. I still have it. The circuit works well IF one knows how to adjust it.

I've built three of them, the first one soon after the article appeared. The one I use now was built in the 1980s - it uses a BC-191/375 coil and two caps that were hamfest finds. Also has built in Monimatch and rig/antenna selectors. It's built in a BC-191/375 tuning-unit case.

The split-stator 250-per-section cap isn't hard to find. They can be a little pricey because of their obvious use. You can use a dual 100 with a 200 in parallel across the whole thing, too. QST for August 1972, page 32, has a nice implementation which inspired the ones I built. Note the switchable-ratio balun.

Or, just gang together two 250 pf single units.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.