ad: w5yi

Heathkit GC-1000 question

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by GODFREY, Jul 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. GODFREY

GODFREY QRZ Member

Hello everyone,

I am very new to the forum, and I hope I've chosen the right category to post this.

After years of chasing the GC-1000 around on eBay, I finally acquired one. It's in good shape cosmetically and makes noise but is missing the collapsible antenna. I temporally used one from an vintage Futaba transmitter (used for model airplanes). You can kinda hear WWV information on 5/10/15 MHz frequencies, the capture LED will come on at times as does the data LED, but it will need some work.

My question is, can anyone recommend what size antenna it was supposed to have?

I will need to go through the manual and tune a few things, replace capacitors, etc...but I was just wondering if anyone knew off the top of their head where I might look. I have no idea what the length was supposed to be.

Thank you so much in advance!

Phil Godfrey
    St. Louis, MO

2. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

3. GODFREY

GODFREY QRZ Member

Thanks so much, W9GB. I ran across the prc68 page a few days ago and meant to get back to it. I'll have to set some time aside this week and go over it throughly. It is now bookmarked.

I was just looking in the illustration manual at the antenna diagrams. Might throw one up (probably for 10 or 15 MHz) because my roof isn't that long...and my wife might complain, but hey -- that's for another time. :) I just didn't know if there was a specific length I should shoot for regarding the attached antenna.

Gotta say, the clock is much larger than I expected! Really a neat piece of kit too.

Phil

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

W9GB is a "walking encyclopedia" of resources and "lightning fast Google Fu"... It's uncanny the stuff he churns out of the Aether regarding technical stuff, FAST. With full links, ALWAYS.

His multitude of such posts have helped me, and lots of other folks I'm sure, many times over the years.

He's one of the gems of QRZ Forums.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Heathkit GCA-1000-1 : RS-232C Output Accessory
    Complete Manual
    https://www.vintage-radio.info/download.php?id=733
    10 MHz (31/30 meters) : Good year-round night band; seasonal during the day, best during winter.
    15 MHz (19 meters) : Day reception good, night reception variable; best during summer.

You can subscribe to “Time Nuts”
    ==
    To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
    http://lists.febo.com/mailman/listinfo/time-nuts_lists.febo.com
    or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
    time-nuts-request@lists.febo.com

You can reach the person managing the list at: time-nuts-owner@lists.febo.com
    ==
    You can take your interest in Time ... to a whole new level ...
    surplus GPS receivers, cellular GPSDO, surplus Rb standards, disciplining XO,
    and various related subjects.

greg, w9gb

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  6. GODFREY

GODFREY QRZ Member

It seems that every hobby I get involved with ends up costing sizable sums of money. :) Love to tinker though.

Thanks again for the tips. I'll do my research on this.

7. GODFREY

GODFREY QRZ Member

For anyone running across this in the future. The kit supplied antenna measurements are approximately;

Fully collapsed: 7 3/8"
    Fully collapsed when screwed into the radio unit: 3 3/4" of the antenna protrudes out of the radio unit.
    Fully extended: 55"