ad: hrd-2

Heathkit DX60

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB1FGC, Jun 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello all! A guy is selling a Heathkit DX60 which is in very good shape.He is not sure if it was reacapped and I am in the process of him sending picture so I can see.He uses it only for CW and never used it for AM.He gets good reports and it puts out about 60W which seems good.He is asking 175$ and seems pretty firm.I am getting the rig for AM only.I have a pair of Heathkit 301/401 rigs.Of which I have put a lot of work into it with issue stilling standing with both ot them.So some here probably know me as I have asked many questions about my existing rigs.I justed wanted some opinions,I do have a limited knowledge of circuit troubleshooting.I wanted an AM rig to complete my boat anchor collection,and nothing to large and heavy.I'm not a serious AM guy but still the rig seems pretty good for my needs.One thing is he doesn't have crystals but a ham gave me a good website where to get them.
    What do you think?Wait for something that has more assurance of operation based on my skills and interests?
    KB1FGC

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I say "go for it". The DX-60 transmitters are VERY easy to work on and a terrific transmitter when running well.

I restored one a few years ago, and found that the grid of the 12AX7 mic preamp tube was soldered to a ground lug instead of to the center pin of the MIC input... meaning in all the 60+ years of its life, it could never have been used on AM!!! And NO ONE ever apparently tried to figure out why!

I had my very first ever HF AM QSO with that DX-60 - with a good friend, Bryan WA7PRC (may he rest in peace)

Great rig. His price seems steep to me though - I'd offer $125 and see what he says....

Dave
    W7UUU

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. KB1FGC

Dave thanks!He seeems pretty firm but I can offer maybe a little off and see what happens. I need to get crystals and mostly he's not sure if it was ever recapped.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I HIGHLY recommend a recap kit:

https://hayseedhamfest.com/products/dx-60

Hayseed sells good stuff. I've used his kits many times. $44.95 is the price of the full caps kit for the DX-60.

For crystals, just figure out what bands you'll want - the AM frequencies are pretty specific and easy to find rocks for. IMO, try to find "true FT-243" crystals, not "restuffs" where a tiny low-current crystal has been soldered into a vintage FT-243 case. The original crystals are much more robust and can handle the grid current of old tube transmitters.

Dave
    W7UUU

N2EY likes this.
  5. KB1FGC

Dave thanks,A ham told me about AF4K but it looks like they may be modifed the crystals depending on the condx,what do you think?Have you heard of them?The ham who told me about them has used them and likes them?

6. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The AF4K crystals are exactly that. Small low-current crystals fitted into a FT243 package. They seem to work fine in a DX60, where the oscillator runs at low level. I definitely would not use them in a one-tube oscillator/transmitter, though.

7. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

$175, plus you recap, plus you search for xtals, and you still have a controlled carrier transmitter?
    Yikes!
    A Johnson Ranger would be how much? (Stable VFO, grid block keying, plate modulation).

AC0OB, AD5HR and W7UUU like this.