Heath SB-200 Amp - Great Mid Level Amp for any occassion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by W0XX, Jan 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Been working with my old SB-200, cleaning it and doing minor restoration. Mine has the Harbach power supply (cap) mod installed. Generally, running around 500-700 out and usually leave it around 500, extra wattage doesn't matter once over 400 watts. Really easy to move around amp, not hard to load/tune.

KU3X likes this.
  2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats on your SB200.
    The Heathkit SB200 was the mainstay amplifier in ham shacks since released. I read it is the most common HF amplifier ever built. It has some tuned input issues, but works ok. It also needs an interface keying cable due to the 160 volts keying voltage for some modern transceivers with a solid-state relay. I recommend the Ameritron AL-811 with 572B tubes and the AL-811H with four 811A tubes for non-tech hams due to not needing a rebuild yet. If you have the technical skills, the SB-200 with provide years of service after a rebuild at reasonable cost.

750 watts produces 1-1/2 S units on the receive side vs 100 watts,
    1500 watts produces 2 S units on the receive side vs 100 watts.
    A 700-800 watt amplifier is a no brainer for me for dollars spent.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  3. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! I use the ARB-704 just as a precaution. Going from 100-400/500 only yields like 2 S units but it helps. Watch out for the trolls to follow this posting. LOL

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not knowing the 572B installed in the amp, I read new Cetron 572B tubes last 50,000 hours. That is over 30 years using the amp 4 hours a day, 7 days a week. You may want to find a pair of NOS Cetron 572B. GE, Raytheon and Dentron relabeled Cetron tubes. You never need a more powerful amplifier.

5. AB2YC

AB2YC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have one sitting here on a shelf waiting for me to put all the Harbach upgrades in it.

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Another SB-200 Mark II in the making. :)

7. AB2YC

I really need to get some other projects wrapped up so I can get on to this one.
    Last year seemed to be the year of getting sidetracked... oh look something shiny ;)

W1TRY and KC8VWM like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Don't hesitate to PM if you need any information or help with anything. :)

9. AB2YC

Thank you

KC8VWM likes this.