Heath SA-2060 Tuner Issue

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W2AAT, Nov 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had this tuner for several years and was doing maintenance on it. I noticed discoloration around the three insulators in the back. It looks like a possible short and lots of heat. I only use coax antennas. I looked throughout the wiring and no burns, shorts or discoloring. The brown around the hole is the cork insulator but there also is rust.

BTW, the insulators are ceramic...
    upload_2018-11-7_9-40-27.png

Comments and/or thoughts are greatly appreciated...

corky w2aat

2. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Picture isn't really that great to see what the issue is.
    Maybe previous owner was using balanced line antenna at high power; antenna fell down, or shorted, or was trying to load the antenna at some weird frequency that the tuner didn't like. I don't see any rust but could be picture quality.

Here's part of the back side of a SA-2060 back panel:
    sa260back-1.jpg

3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can ohm out whether it's a short or not, but most likely not. There's a pretty big gap between the center threaded conductor and the chassis and ideally one of the ceramic standoffs fits the inside of the hole and the other slides over that protrusion. The fiber washer doesn't do a lot with the better ceramic insulators. That said, you could cut a homebrew fiber or rubber insulator or replace the ceramic feed through standoffs with similar units or build simple insulated feed throughs with something as simple as drilling holes in a rectangular piece of plastic sheeting.

BTW, if you only use coax antennas then RF power is never applied to those standoffs via the selector switch. The discoloration you're seeing is most likely oxidation from years of exposure to heat and humidity. But if it bothers you, it's easy to clean up the chassis with a Scotchbrite pad and replace the fiber spacer with something homebrew or even a thin bead of silicon sealant.

4. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for your comments. I couldn't find anything wrong with it other than old age. I cleaned it and will be putting it back into service...

Thanks.... corky w2aat