ad: ProAudio-1

Heath HL-2200 Rehab (Son of Oscar)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by AF6LJ, Jul 3, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About a month ago I was asked by an acquaintance of Pat's, and myself to work oh his Heath HL-2200
    Some work had been done on the amp, appears to have sat for a while before we entered into discussions on the work to be done to this amplifier, and it came to me in a basket. although not as much of a basket as you see in the first picture below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also have the power transformer, the metal work not seen in the picture, knobs, tubes, and most if not all the hardware, some maybe missing.
    So this will be a fun project, I have most of the needed parts, including an Ameritron plate choke which I will have install. Today I will take inventory on the parts I have, and place an order for the parts I need.
    Because of the desire to have better power supply regulation the owner has decided to go with larger filter caps, so a W7RY step start board was ordered right off....
    [​IMG]
    The amplifier has an SB-220 input / output sub-chassis installed. The wiring was never completed, so that will be one of the first things I will do, it will require removal of the sub-chassis, I am not going to strain myself building up that input circuit, plus I want to inspect the output side of things carefully.
    We will get lots of pictures of that in this rehab. I hadn't asked the owner about the ALC if he wants it left in or not, so it will stay in spite of its limited usefulness.
    [​IMG]
    The AC line caps are going out, and new Class X1 caps are going in.
    [​IMG]
    This relay is going to stay, it is good enough and the execution of that mod is good, although some of the wiring will need to be cleaned up.

So this project will be a staple of this forum for July and August.
    Lots of work, lots of fun.

N5DMC, KC4UMO, KA9JLM and 2 others like this.
  2. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like a nice piece, and not a basket case.

AF6LJ likes this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

Hope U have better luck on yours than I did on mine.

AF6LJ and W7UUU like this.
  4. AF6LJ

It's not too bad, the back panel needs a little fender and body work, it's coming off anyway, and I think I can get it looking a little better.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work Sue.

Oh, and if the thought should come up? Just get a beefier shelf if you need to put it up high.... ;):rolleyes:

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, KD2ACO and AF6LJ like this.
  6. AF6LJ

I haven't started anything yet. :)
    That will come in the next few days.

7. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That does look like fun! I've never seen one of those in person so it will be nice to witness it going together.

AF6LJ likes this.
  8. AF6LJ

A stock HL-2200 will look very similar to an SB-221 they did away with the chicken band filter and replaced it with a more complex matching network that also acted like a low pas filter.
    They got rid of the pot on the front panel that set the sensitivity for the relative output meter.
    The outside is very much different but inside save for a socket to plug the primary of the transformer into there is not that much difference.

9. AF6LJ

It will be fine.
    like yours it will be a lot of work.

10. AF6LJ

I am looking forward to doing it.
    The major part of the wiring will be replaced.
    I have some good HV wire for the B+
    That coax is all going to have to be replaced, and. I have all the original colors of hook up wire. to use. (I think)
    I am of two minds regarding the grids.
    I want to leave it stock, but then again I need to talk to the owner about that.
    If I ground them directly I will have to add a fuse under the chassis for the transformer center tap. (I think I will do that anyway.)