ad: NVCON-1

Hearing Yourself

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD9HLC, May 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD9HLC

KD9HLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Morning, All.

We've all experienced the surprise of finding out we don't sound like we think we do.

@K9STH has, in a couple of conversations, mentioned that many hams are, in general, not very good at setting up TX phone audio processors like compressors.

What do you do to verify the quality of your outgoing AF? Do you record yourself with an RX? Do you ask for help recording you, and your friend emails you an mp3?

And I've read that some believe you would use very different settings depending on who is listening. How do you account for that?

What have you found to be the most helpful feedback on how well you TX?

2. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most modern day transceivers have a monitor function in which you can hear the quality of your phone signal while adjusting the speech processor levels. Use a dummy load and headphones when doing this.

Here's photo of Fredonia President Rufus T. Firefly adjusting his transmitter.

upload_2018-5-14_9-22-13.png

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    F8WBD, KB2SMS and KD9HLC like this.
  3. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used the off air recording and HF rx capability of my Kenwood TH-D74A to check the audio quality of my HF signal.

KY5U and KD9HLC like this.
  4. KD9HLC

Where does the signal get picked off? Is it before modulation to SSB? How can you tell what the effects of converting the signal to SSB and back again sound like for you?

Haha, this function did not come up in the entry level rig features discussion.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  5. N5PAR

N5PAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not very scientific but I called a fellow amateur after I got my IC 7000 up and running. Since we actually know each other and he knows what my voice sounds like I figured he could help me out on adjusting my audio. When he finally said I was good he played a short recording back to me. It was his and my opinion that I sounded like me. Since we had a unanimous opinion we stopped and called it good.

WG7X, K9ASE, KC1DQH and 1 other person like this.
  6. KC1DQH

KC1DQH Ham Member QRZ Page

I also look for some poor, unfortunate soul on the air to give me his opinion. Most of happy to do so, and it's a nice break from talking about the weather!

K9ASE likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just have the rig's monitor function turned on. Most even fairly recent rigs have this function.
    It's not going to sound exactly like your signal will on the air, even exactly tuned, but is MORE than good enough to tell you whether your audio is at least in the good enough range. I urge you to give it a try. ;)

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Like good sounding audio be it AM, SSB, FM and don't mind the enhanced audio if it's not overdone . Unless receive a report of an audio problem tend to not get too carried away with how I sound the main purpose is to communicate not sound like the local broadcast station.

9. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Ham Member QRZ Page

KD9HLC likes this.
  10. KD9HLC