Hearing Callsigns

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB3SKU, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

James,

As others have commented you should get better the more you listen. My issue as I hear the sound of the letter I have to find a picture of the letter in my head and then I can accurately write it down. I am sure that has something to do with learning the alphabet a long time ago. One drill I practice is reading and recalling license plates of quickly passing cars. Something to fill-in the idle moments of driving and it seems to help. Knowing what the difficulty is gives me something to focus on.

Mike

2. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok guys thanks,at least it not only me,thought i was losing it lol.

3. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

headphones

If you have not tried it, use headphones.

Sometimes this will help.

It helps when copying code.

4. KB3SKU

Curious,my radio is a mobile,i use it as a base station,it does have a ext. speaker hole on the back can i hook up headphones to that? i mean will it work?

5. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Should work fine, but check the impedances (radio and 'phones). Turn the volume all the way down before you try it, and turn it up very gradually.

6. KC8MKC

KC8MKC Ham Member QRZ Page

James,
    I'm 43 with severe tinnitus in both ears (kicker is high pitch in 1 low pitch in other) don't stress out over it- I am fairly new (although I have had ticket 10+ yrs) never used it till recently. Get in with the group your gonna be with normally- they will be patient- Mine is and has been- I am now not to afraid to go to other areas and get in on conversations- even found a "ride partner" he goes 1 direction from repeater I go the other but we talk the 20 plus miles each day- he only had to repeat his 4 or 5 times- then I had to pull over and write it down. I always keep paper handy. I have trouble with the WA8's and I have a wb8 now. hang in there!

Roger
    USCG(ret) CPO mech.

7. KB3SKU

cool thanks guys for being understanding,man like i said in another part of the forum "Man i love this forum such nice helpful people here" :)

Ive made about 18 contacts now on 2m and 440 i'm having a ball :D .

To Mod or Admin,thanks for changing my User to my callsign :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  8. WD4CHP

WD4CHP Ham Member QRZ Page

Your external speaker jack is for eather 8 or 16 ohms speakers.

Any of the modern headphones should be OK. The antique ones are high impedence. You shouldn't use them.

If you have a cheap pair of stereo speakers, use a stereo to mono adaptor.

The ones I use have a volume control and a S to M switch on the cord. No need for the adaptor. With the switch in Stereo, I hear out of one side. In Mono, Both sides.

I have tennitis also. Working around jet engines. The headphones do help.

Willis
    WD4CHP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.