Hearing Callsigns

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KB3SKU, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3SKU

KB3SKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi i have this weird problem there are some call signs i just cant make out and i keep asking the poor fellow to repeat it,i think i asked like 4 or 5 times and the poor guy gives up with me.i think ive scared off like 2 now :( I don't want to be a pain,its getting frustrating :(

Do you think if i get some sort of recording device it could help?

I don't want people to hate me around the area :(

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  2. N9YB

N9YB QRZ Administrator QRZ Page

3. KB3SKU

would that work for 2m/440? i ask cause it looks like its meant for CW and would it work with the FT-7800R? i mean is there anything i need to connect to it from the computer?

4. K2QI

K2QI Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you asked the person to spell their callsign out phonetically?

That's what I do when I have a problem copying...

5. KB3SKU

yes i do but i still cant make it out :( i'm 35 and my hearing shouldn't be that bad already grr lol.

something like your call sign id have a hard time copying :( its like the Q's and 2's and some others,when there too close together is when i have a hard time :( .

Hope i made sense there hehe.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  6. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have a very measurable hearing problem and have the same "didn't hear your callsign" issue. I will ask people to spell it out phonetically, but so many people use cutesy phonetics instead of the standard phonetic alphabet.

My background is physics and engineering, so when someone says "Kilowatt", for example, I write "kW" reflexively. I've munged a lot of callsigns on that one alone.

I'm 43, and for the OP - maybe you are losing your hearing. I did... years of being a small arms instructor in the military combined with the loud music of youth, and presto... -25 dB across the board down to -90 dB over 3500 Hz or so. You should consider getting your hearing tested by a professional, especially if you're having problems distinguishing A/E or M/N (the letters), or the sounds of F/S/V/Z, T/TH/D

On my own callsign, people mis-hear VE3YJ all the time. I guess I speak too quickly :)

73 de VE3OIJ

KD9PRN likes this.
  7. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Humm....I guess phonetics would be the best answer but you already said that does not work out well for you. I dont have a problem copying calls but it would seem that people have a problem copying mine. It is worse when I use phonetics so you are not alone in your struggle. But hey, it just may because you are not used to copying calls yet. It may get better with time, keep at it.

8. W6ONV

W6ONV Ham Member QRZ Page

Its like anything else, if you are not used to hear call signs, then it will take some time to get acclimated to hearing them on the air. Rarely do I use the other stations call sign if I call on a local repeater as "mobile" or "monitoring". Be it right or wrong, if someone responds to me, then I will give my call and name. I had the same issue when I first started listening in on the repeater. After a while not only do you learn the call signs, but you learn the voices and names to go along with the calls. Give it time...

9. RUSS

RUSS Guest

I have the same probelm. In my area they say it to fast or mumble. I guess if your a regular on the repeater you get used to hearing the same people so you automaticlly know their call even if they mumble it or say it too fast. Thats why i cant wait to get into HF.When your making long distance contacts its generally slower and most people will say their call phoneticlly so you can understand them.

10. N0LW

N0LW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have trouble too. The best thing for me is to have them SLOW DOWN when they are giving it--that is good advice for all of us...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.