ad: Radclub22-1

Heads Up To Our DIY Antenna Folks....Good Scoop

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K1LKP, Jun 12, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AK5B, W7UUU and PU2OZT like this.
  2. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Speaking of heads up and working safely, I recently found out about "bump caps". I'm a bald senior citizen on blood thinners. I just have to walk near a tree branch. It will reach out and scrape my scalp to make it bleed profusely. These bump caps and bump cap inserts are wonderful if you don't need a true hard hat, but need to protect your noggin. I have a couple for warm weather and a couple for cold weather. Here is a link to one of my warm weather caps: https://www.amazon.com/Pyramex-Safe...B01MSWKJ6K/ref=psdc_553566_t2_B01N2ARCIE?th=1

K3XR, KF0V, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  3. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, Carmen! Hope to catch you on the air sometime.

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI KEN,

THANK U FOR THE HEADS UP ON THE "BUMP CAPS"

AND

THANK U FOR UR SERVICE IN THE NAVY......BRAVO........

73 ES I WISH YOU SMOOTH SAILING

5. N3TGY

N3TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

this is a good idea! thanks for posting this. I "grew through my hairline years ago - lol , I was maintenance mechanic in a very large nursing home, and was on blood thinners for a collapsed artery in my arm ( really long story) but during Christmastime the activity department would hang large paper snowflakes in the hallways - I'm 6'1" so my head would bump these paper snowflakes, one day I was working and walking with my tool cart and I had felt water or something on my face and nose, ( I was working on a ice machine compressor, so I thought that maybe it was some water that came from a filter high up near the ceiling , my wife was a nurse in that unit, she walked into the pantry where I was working say hi, and she said " OMG Honey what did you hit your head on? your face and head is bloody!" sure enough it was. here it was a long paper cut from one of those paper snowflakes hanging from the ceiling ! always a good idea to wear head and eye protection , folks get caught up in focusing on the work at hand and don't pay attention to personal safety. especially on blood thinners

KI4ZUQ, AK5B and W4KJG like this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Look into Lineman safety gear as its more related to what we do. Several outfits cater to this line. Buckingham is pretty good... https://buckinghammfg.com/

K1LKP likes this.
  7. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

One more safety item, especially if you are pushing up masts with antennas on top, or working on boat anchors like DX-100s etc., are back braces for lifting. It is incredible how much they help to not have an aching back for three days after straining your back.

[​IMG]

@N3TGY. I've had several incidences like you described. Not long ago I was in Lowes getting some 2x6s. I barely nicked my ear lobe getting one off the shelf. When I got to checkout, the clerk came running at me with a roll of paper towels. I didn't even realize I was bleeding. When I looked at the sleeve on my shoulder it was saturated with blood.

N3TGY, AK5B and K1LKP like this.
  8. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Bloody good thread thus far, and it's early days!

W4KJG likes this.
  9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I started working as an engineer at GE, rebuilding locomotives and rail passenger cars, we always had "Bump" caps.

These were used when you were under one of the locomotives which were jacked up with 4 30 ton jacks.

Hit your head under one of this non-yielding behemoths, without some sort of head protection leaves a mark and sometimes a trip to the hospital.

[​IMG]

N3TGY likes this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the information. My head also resembles a hockey rink but it's not where I have most of my problems. Most of mine are on my arm banging into things with my elbow being a large target. At the suggestion of my family doctor I keep silver nitrate on hand and find it's very effective when a cut or scrape just won't stop bleeding.

N3TGY likes this.