Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

87.6%
  2. No

11.2%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

1.1%
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Headphones have been a part of my life since I was about 7-8 years old back in the 1950s.

I first needed them to listen to my galena/cat's whisker crystal radios. Then I needed them in a shared bedroom with my brother so that I wouldn't disturb him. After he left home, I still needed them to not disturb my parents in our small home.

They were necessary while enjoying life in small private planes. They were necessary in the Navy, particularly aboard ship.

By the time I was in my mid-to-late 20s, I had already damaged my ears. I developed tinnitus, which I still have 50-60 years later. I'm sure that regularly using things like chain saws, heavy equipment, and shooting rifles, shotguns, and handguns didn't help.

So now, many years later, headphones are still necessary, but for a little bit of different reasons. I don't want to disturb my wife when I stay up too late. I don't want to disturb her if I'm on the air.

Worst of all, I really need the headphones to properly hear what I'm listening to.

If you you are still young and don't yet to have ear damage, drop the headphones/earbuds, etc. It seems to be be just natural to turn the the volume way up to hear weak signals. It sure doesn't help to listen to music at ear damaging levels.

Deaf old curmudgeon,
    Ken

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find headphones a must for CW. I have a couple of pair of Jabra Move headphones (https://www.jabra.com/q/~/~/link.aspx?_id=389837FCC5EB4219BC1DF0A22A625AAF&_z=z). I use these with a wired connection. I have also used my Sony WH-1000XM3's. The Jabra Move headphones just usually are on my desk so they get the most use. I suppose there could be better options but these seem to work well and I already had them before I started doing CW again.

3. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Since there are other headphone fans here, what I do is send all the rig audio (headphone jack) and PC audio to a mixer and out to my speakers. That mixer has a headphone out, as does the amp that drives my speakers. However they aren’t very powerful headphone drivers so the sound quality is lacking. Also, this only allows for one set of headphones to be wired and they have to be plugged and unplugged each use to switch between speaker mode or headphones.

The solution is a headphone amplifier and this one from AKG is great.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HP4E--akg-hp4e-4-ch-headphone-amplifier

Now my Audio Technica BPHS1 headset (with mic) and also other headphones I like to use with my boom mic can be left plugged in and ready to go. The driver in this amp is very strong too so it has the headroom to get the full sound out of my higher impedance headphones.

4. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

Do your Sony WH-1000XM's have a cord? I have a set but they are bluetooth only

5. W5ESE

W5ESE Ham Member QRZ Page

I just use a pair of earphones that were about 99c at Big Lots. Or something like that.

6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Headphones rather than speakers because of hearing loss and crappy speakers. Used Heil Prosets for years until VE3TMT recommended Koss SB-40s. Bought a set from B+H Foto (sp) and never looked back. Very comfortable, noise blocking, and excellent audio from my Flex 6300 and JRC NRD-535. Only $31.00, which appeals to my inner frugal self.

7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They are bluetooth but also have a 3.5mm stereo connection so can be used powered off.

8. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your post sent me off investigating high end, tube type, headphone amps. On one site, the reviewer's writing style became increasingly suspect. This quote stopped me dead in my tracks and ultimately led me to close that particular browser window:

"Although the amplifier uses a linear power supply, the sound quality can be further improved by connecting it through a power strip, as well as replacing the power cable."

"Price?" you wonder? How does $999 affect your blood pressure? ;)

Just goes to show you that there are a lot of people out there with more money than brains.

9. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was a touring and club sound engineer and also worked construction and the trades and did a ton of shooting.

Any nuance that things like that can provide will not be something I could hear at this point :). I think if I could actually operate CW, I could zero beat against my tinnitus pretty effectively.

WN1MB likes this.
  10. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That is a bargain!! They are trying to get three times as much on ePay for those! I ordered a pair too.

W5BIB likes this.