Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ah Ha !

[​IMG]

Problem solved... :D

2. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Ooops...Did it anyway. A bit of a hassle to get the fabric fibers out of the wire strands. But I mostly did it.
    Got the connections to solder up. Not real pretty. But each conductor connection is shrink wrapped.
    Then the whole wire pair assy is shrink wrapped. The kind with the melty glue in it.
    Looks very much like the pic KM4DYX supplied.
    So far so good. Without the shrink wrap the connection would be WAYYYYY to delicate for regular use.
    Enjoying them so far!

Kinch

(PS Col Hogan sends his regards)

3. W5BIB

Did yours have two wires or four ?

4. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Only two wires. Red and Green. Was a bit confused by that and thought maybe the colors were for left/right (port/starboard) colors. No shield or ground to work with, so I figured one was ground and one (red) was hot. So that's how I wired it up to the plug. Figured either it would work or would not work.

Well, I was dumb and lucky and it worked.

I still don't know what the scheme is with the white wire at the phone on each side, but no white wire at the plugs. They must join and become the green plug, and the red and green at the phones join and become the red wire at the other plug.

It is kind of interesting how it all is inside the woven sleeve knotted at each end. Who does this kind of thing anymore?

5. W5BIB

It's weird,... Mine had 4 wires in the cable at the plugs. (2 in each plug)
    A Red & White one, and a Black & Dark Green one. Going into each earpiece is Red & Tan on one ear,... Tan & Light Green on the other ear. :confused: I tied the Red & White ones together, and the Black & Dark Green ones together to hook-up to the mono plug.
    NO soldering on this !!! (the wires are too fine) - I used some silicon & shrink-wrapped 'em.

On my headset... the date on the box was 12/65. On the inner package it was 09/66.

They work very well,... I like 'em :D I am 100% CW, so they are perfect for me. (They bring back good memories of actually using them in the Navy 1964-72)

THIS is what I'll be using on the second set I bought: ;)
    [​IMG]

I found this on ebay for less than $10 with free shipping !! :p

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    N7BKV likes this.
  6. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

My headset arrived yesterday and this morning I rolled up a quick 1/4" adapter for it.

Visiting the local electronics shop, I found that the pins fit perfectly into the socket contact on a set of TE "1 Position Free-Hanging 20-14AWG General Purpose Connectors". The set contained these components: https://www.unicornelex.com/product_p/23-0250.htm and the specific piece into which the pin fit so nicely is this one, part 60619-1: https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-60619-1.html

[​IMG]

I used a bit of speaker wire to solder two of the sockets to a single 1/4" mono plug and slipped one of the provided plastic receptacles over each socket:

[​IMG]

The pins fit in snugly and the plastic shields prevent them from touching each other. The headphones work great!

W5BIB and N8AFT like this.
  7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nicely done! Do you have a J-45 leg key to go along with it? They are the bomb.

8. AG5WC

AG5WC Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks really cool, but I dread the thought of trying to clamp a key designed for a WW2-era soldier over my corn-fed millennial leg--those guys were pretty small and thin, as a walk through a surplus store will show you! The headset will give me a pinched head, and the J-45 will give me a pinched thigh!

9. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What doesn't kill you makes you strong. You may find that the loss of circulation in your leg and resulting numbness distracts you from the vice-like squeezing of your head. Yet another piece of kit overlooked by the Laws of Land Warfare.

Seriously though, I'm really digging the J-45. I'm small so no real discomfort. I was surprised at how easy it was to transition from paddle to straight key and I find the J-45 even easier to use than the regular J-37.

Al

10. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Elegant!