Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you like them, OM! They are quite a NOS bargain. "What doesn't kill you makes you strong." If I wear these while chasing a SOTA activator I figure that I've suffered almost as much as him and I didn't even have to leave the house. Immense satisfaction.

WB5YUZ, K9ZMD and W5BIB like this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Phones VS Speakers
    I like hi fi headphones to listen to music while laying in bed. BUT I have not used headphones very often for Ham radio operating, I don't like to be tied down by the cord and don't need any more RFI in the shack from a digital RF signal from a cordless headset.
    I recently got out the old Autek QF-1 audio filter and hooked it up between the FT990 and my small Panasonic headphones (the phones came with a computer and never got used by the owner) the main filter peaked the sidetone well and the lo-pass side filtered out the High pitched hiss the FT990 is known for generating.
    Finally put all this stuff away and went back to my Kenwood KES 5 commercial Two-Way radio loudspeaker. IMHO, It has the best all around sound for receiving radio signals!

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Just got a FB set from Morse Express.
    VY light. Not painful to my ears, wide headband, good sound, full ear coverage es quiet.
    I think they are Behringer's (?) low priced set.
    Look for them on the web-site.

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had to use head-sets at work and various other places. I usually use them because of 'extraneous' noises -and- for convenience. I've used head-sets that were comfortable and those that were not. Guess which I'd rather use. If adjusted right, and if they don't weigh a ton, I have not had a problem using them.
    I've used almost any brand you can think of and in general (meaning it's not always true) the 'better' head-sets are easier to use. I've also used some odd head-sets that were just dandy too. Unfortunately, I tend to break things so the 'heavier' thingys work better for me. YMMV

5. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cordless gamer's 7-way headsets. They cost ~$70. The charge lasts several hours ...longer than my perseverance at hammin'.

My SunSDR2 can split CW signals up in freq to the right and down in freq to the left adding spatial separation to crowding.

6. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received my HS-16A headphones today. Put a plug on the cable and tried them out!
    Had to turn the side tone down from 700Hz to 600Hz to get rid of the chip on the front of each Tx dit or dah. But all good. 600 is OK.
    Great on Rx. A bit of a different sound, for sure. Will explore the limits under QRN sometime soon.

As for comfort out of the box, they rank about the same as bunks on a submarine.

However, with some careful bending of the bales, they can fit quite comfortably.

My station manager took one look and started calling me Radar O'Reilly. She was quite the MASH fan, I guess.

But I was thinking more like Sergeant Kinchloe on Hogan's Heros.

Brian
    N7BKV

W5BIB likes this.
  7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

//snip// Different sound because, when worn properly, you're using your eardrums AND. mostly, bone conductivity.
    I'd forgotten how great they really are. Just put a mono-plug on 'em & you're good-to-go...! - It took 30 minutes just to undo the government packing !! :p

Can't beat the price for NOS (in the original box) government headphones.

8. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

So just what IS the proper way to wear these? I just thought copying Sgt. Kinchloe on Hogan's Heros was all I needed to do.

And yes, what steal. NOS 1965. Perfect undisturbed packaging. Some gov't contractor back in the 60s supplied thousands more than were needed. I'm wondering if they have been available all along since then, or if this was a forgotten stash that came to light somehow. Curious.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that wearing them where the major portion of the sound is felt on the bones right in front of your ear canal. (bone conduction)
    If you wear them exactly over your "ear hole" you're risking hearing damage due to a sudden LOUD signal or LOUD static crashes (QRN).:eek: That's the way we taught it in the Navy's Morse Intercept Operator's School.
    That's one reason I don't like the earphones that cover the whole ear. YMMV

Here's an example of the correct way to wear them for hearing with bone conduction:

[​IMG]

You can always move them back closer to your "ear hole" if a signal is weak & there's not a lot of QRN.

In the advertisement below, they describe the HS-16A earphones use in Vietnam.
    In 1965-66 when they made these earphones, the Vietnam war was just really getting cranked-up. As the war progressed,... the idea of a clandestine radio station in every little Vietnam Hamlet went down the drain & by then, the Gov't probably had a whole warehouse full of these sets.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/military-headset-hs-16a-1-ea-new-vietnam-v-nos-1

IMHO; ya can't beat 'em for a piece of history AND good earphones for $19.99 (NOS) !!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good period photo of trainees using the headset. Note that a couple are using bone conduction technique:

area_c_2.jpg

W5BIB likes this.