ad: GNOHF-1

Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD1W

KD1W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been using the Kenwood HS-5 headphones for 10 years or so. They are alright but would like to try some others. They sound pretty good. I use headphones ~85% of the time. If signals are strong I don't need them really but they are great when there isn't much there to hear.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think there are a few "great things" about using headphones:

-They absolutely allow you to hear stuff you cannot hear with a speaker
    -They block outside noise
    -They block your own station noise from annoying the rest of the household!

That last one can be very important for anyone who doesn't live alone.

The HS-5s aren't bad. If you want to replace them, try Koss PRO-4AAs, which are available almost everywhere including all "pro audio" stores that sell musical instruments and such.

K9ASE, WA7PRC and KJ7GFW like this.
  3. F8WBD

F8WBD Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Arlan Communications RadioSport RS20S headphones.

These have 24 dB of isolation and are stereo (for transceivers with Dual Watch.)

They have models with boom mikes, too.

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

It might at first seem counter-intuitive, but Al with his military HS-16 phones has the highest chance of success on CW. The industry standard

for commercial, shipboard, and military CW communications were heavy, "C-clamp" phones made by Western Electric, Utah, and Trimm. Standard

set after WW II to modern times was Trimm Commercial, Trimm Featherweight, and the heavy Trimm Professional and Trimm Dependable.

Look at any photos of experienced

shipboard, commercial or Navy / Coast Guard Chiefs copying CW and you will see two things without exception: They're not wearing modern-style hi-fi cup-type

receivers, and the headset receivers are not resting on the ear. The receivers are resting on the cheekbones. You hear the signal through bone conduction. That way,

if an unexpected loud signal comes on and blasts you or you hear a sudden heterodyne, you're not gonna blow your ears out. You merely have to turn the audio

up a bit from from where it would have been before, resting on-the-ear. Old-time Navy Sonarmen wore them that way for same reason.

Lots of hams, understandably, are proud of their high-quality high-fidelity- reproduction , high-cost headphones. But if you're trying to copy a signal that is less

than 100Hz wide, do you really want to be hearing everything from 100Hz thru 4kHz? Or maybe flat 2.3kHz bandwidth? The headsets above are not hi-fi and

designed that way purposefully. Most have several peaks of natural resonance that further act as a desirable natural filter. Ultimately, the filter you need

to cultivate is located between the ears. Doesn't run on 2 penlight cells. Noise-cancelling and runs on Raisin Bran.

Pick up a good set of phones at a hamfest for $15 or less (Not more unless almost-new) And make sure it's got a good cord. The standard cords are made

from tinsel-wire and difficult to repair ands impossible to replace. Good cord is worth more than the cans.

Good luck out there, CW guys and gals.

N2AMM, KJ7GFW and W5BIB like this.
  6. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

See, there is a method to my madness...

Al

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

An operator that knows what he's talking about !! :D

(ex WLO op)

8. KJ7GFW

KJ7GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Where did you find these?

9. KE6EE

KE6EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a pair of JRC 'phones designed with a limited range for communications use. They cut out high frequency noise
    which distracts from CW signals.

They cover my ears thus reducing ambient room sound. They are monaural. They may still be available new.

I also have an inexpensive set of Telex on-the-ear mono headphones designed for speech reproduction use in
    schools. $15 including shipping new on ebay.

The question of dual watch with stereo phones is relevant. For that use I use any of several hi fi headphones I have. All
    have the disadvantage of too great a frequency response so that high-pitched noise is evident where it is not with the
    limited-frequency-range phones.

10. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page