Headphones?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KJ7GFW, Aug 12, 2019.

?

Headphones

1. Yes

85.4%
  2. No

12.5%
  3. I use telepathy, duh

2.1%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ7GFW

KJ7GFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Any OPs here use Headphones while operating CW? I use an older pair of Sony MDR-ZX110NC

Pros: The bass is boosted somewhat which seems to help me with certain tones and I enjoy the decent noise cancelling (dang kids, nagging xyl, dogs etc) Hi Hi

Cons: Forgetting the volume is up on a weaker sig and then getting blasted with a strong signal. Not pleasant.

What do you use?

Any headphones that you'd recommend?

2. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I operate mostly CW and use headphones 99% of the time. I have a set of David Clark headphones that I really like. They seal out noise from the room, and I can hear signals down in the dirt with them.

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use HS-16A phones. They help me hear better and induce a headache all at the same time. How they passed muster under the Laws of Land Warfare remain a mystery. Clearly designed as a torture device.

Al

[​IMG]

K6GB, W5BIB and K9ASE like this.
  4. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a hearing issue, and use headphones while on CW or SSB, without a choice. So, over the years I finally decided to stop "cheaping out" and find something that I can use for hours without discomfort. Look to the pro's, like used in professional studios, guys/gals who do this for a living. Take a look at the Sennheisers. Over the ear design makes them super comfortable for as long as you need. Open ear design keeps them from getting hot, and allows you to hear other things if necessary. Check out the 650 HD's. which is what I use, I have several other pair, Sony 7506, Heil pro 7 's and some others. Do your self a favor, buy a nice set of Sennheisers, 600 HD and up, you will never look back. I have a set of RF wireless Sennheisers I use for TV, which would not be a choice for radio with the potential of interference from your transceiver. 73 Rich

**as a additional note, I should have mentioned, I do have a set of wireless phones for my shack also, NOT for QSO but in case I like to do things around the house OR outside and listen in sometimes, I get around 300+ foot range. Id stay away from bluetooth they have a very limited range.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    N2AMM likes this.
  5. N3FZ

N3FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use a pair of old Bose noise cancelling headphones 100% of the time. You can hear so much better with headphones then the rig speaker.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only used headphones for ham radio stuff for decades.

No speakers in my ham shack at all, other than a few built into transceivers. I wouldn't even know if those work.:p

[​IMG]
    Comfortable, adjustable, keep out unwanted noises, long coiled cord that stretches and retracts, and not expensive.

N2AMM likes this.
  7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heil ProSet3 in the shack. MFJ-392B portable. My MTR3B has no volume control so I need phones with volume control. They work great with my FT-8-17 so I don't have to fiddle with the undersized volume control on the 817.
    Speakers will work OK if I remember to wear my hearing aids but phones always beat the speaker.

8. WB4BIN

WB4BIN Ham Member QRZ Page

Never use them. I enjoy no benefit from them, and they are all uncomfortable to me.

9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

In some situations (especially outdoors) headphones are essential for me. At home in the shack, I prefer a good speaker unless there's a lot else (like the teenagers' music...) going on around the house.

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I like my Heil ProSet Plus headset. The headphones have a wide response, and it has a phase reversal switch. Sometimes, the latter makes the difference when trying to copy a weak station. :)

KJ7GFW likes this.