ad: Amateur-1

headphones

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VA3KIL, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What did you say? I can't hear you with my headphones on.:)

I've tried "a lot" of phones and still use the Koss PRO-4AAs. They're very comfortable, very durable, have a long extension coiled cord (I hate phones that have a "straight" cord, and not a coiled one) and sound great on phone or CW.

Probably the most popular "recording studio" phones in the industry, yet still not expensive -- possibly because they sell millions of them.

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't understand why anyone would want "recording studio" phones to copy a 3 kHz SSB signal. Maybe for comfortable ear pads more than anything!

K7MH and KC8VWM like this.
  3. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Arlan Communications makes a "listen only" model without a boom mike, the RS20S.

These have very comfortable ear cushions and a cable which you can replace if you want a shorter or longer one, or one with right-angle plugs on both ends.

4. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had a hearing deficiency for many years and always wear headphones while on air, may I suggest you purchase a pair , a nice pair the first time that you will be content with wearing for long periods of time without fatigue. These are what the broadcasting pro's wear in the stations, hours on end. I will attest they are very comfortable for hours. Better prices are available but this link has one of the better photos of them. 73, Rich
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD650--sennheiser-hd-650-open-back-audiophile-and-reference-headphones?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3303550235&rkg_id=0&product_id=HD650&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping - SKU - Studio & Recording&adgroup=Studio Monitors - Sennheiser - hd650&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=285689014038&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KCQiAg_HhBRDNARIsAGHLV53e3t60XUqVWK9RMU6LXcOVhSG5XMhwmxkDUsiVCrx9Gu2EURSHSowaAlPcEALw_wcB

5. KC3SWL

KC3SWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have three sets of headphones here. For the HF work which is narrow bandwidth audio I use the Kenwood HS5 headset. I think it works great and the audio doesn't have to be overdriven to hear the weak signals. I hear everything perfectly and if I open the bandwidth up on the TS870 it still sounds clear and strong.
    For the TM2550 2 meter rig, a Bluetooth no name generic headset if I want to wander around the house hearing the local nets comes in handy . If I am stationary a set of Sennheiser HD202's are put into use. I found out about the Sennheisers while I was in NYC when Tower Records had them on sale for 20.00.. I thought to myself how in the world is there a Sennheiser headset for 20.00. Don't let the price fool you. These headsets are probably better than any Sony or Koss or JVC headphones I had in the past.
    I don't use a headset microphone but with the Behringer XM8500 and Monitor on the TS870 I can hear exactly how my signal sounds to others and with those HS5's it sounds pretty good and just like me.

6. N7WR

N7WR Subscriber QRZ Page

I use the same ones---Koss and they were inexpensive on Amazon. I've used many over the years, some more expensive, but none as good

K9ASE likes this.
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The best specs in the world mean diddly... if the phones are not comfortable. I DO use "stereo" headphones when really serious, because they are conformable to ME. and YMMV. You may ask "why stereo headphones?" Well, if the receiver has limited audio response, why does it matter? And if I want to listen to SW broadcasts (if any still exist) then they just might be able to handle more response than "communication quality" headphones. Again, YMMV.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They sound very good, are very comfortable and without being "noise canceling," they do minimize external noise quite well just by the gel-filled earpad design.

I've tried all sorts of "communications" headphones designed specifically for narrow bandwidth communication modes and none of them sounded anywhere near as good to me.

9. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The H251 A/U headphones are designed for use in armored vehicles and are actually very good. They should be, they cost over six hundred dollars a pair with the interface cable set. They were designed specifically for radio communications and, if you are not familiar with them, they are also a lot more comfortable that you would think.

A lot of science goes into military designs, and I know for a fact that, that headset went through a rigorous test and evaluation process under extreme conditions.

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

And WHY shouildn't comfort be important, even over and above "communication quality" 3 kHz response?