headphones

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VA3KIL, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. VA3KIL

VA3KIL Ham Member QRZ Page

hello all what is a good set of head phones to use on HF without a mic? i have a desk mic already but want to hear weak stations better

2. K4EI

K4EI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

I could go on about the subject of headset/mics in ham radio for a solid 30 seconds- I hate these multipin connectors. TRRS is everywhere there is no reason why we should be burdened with these silly 4/5/8-pin connectors from yesterdecade.

With that said- I work remotely and typically spend 5-6 hours per day with a headset clamped to my skull. For the past 2 years that headset has been Kingston HyperX Cloud II. A bit spendy $99, but they are extremely comfortable, include a USB audio device that can be left in one pc while the headset is used in others... and will work with a standard 1/4" TRS adapter. Sound is good. Audio is good. When these die I'll replace them with the same set.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a number of variables to consider:

Do you wear hearing aids?
    Do you prefer on-the-ear headphones, in-the-ear headphones, or over-the-ear headphones?
    Are you thinking of inserting an equalizer between the rig and your headphones?
    How much are you willing to spend?

5. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just use my Bose pilot headset. Active noise canceling and optimized for voice over radio.

KI5WW likes this.
  6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

My hearing isn't what it used to so I'm using a pair of Koss headphones. They feel great. When I use a mike I have a pair of Heil BM-17s.

KA4DPO likes this.
  7. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's surprising what great quality headsets can be bought for a great price. Look at some of the computer stuff, but that can get up priced by the gamers. I picked up a great set of used Telex on eBay for
    around $20. These are aircraft certified and very comfortable. You have to watch the aircraft stuff they can be real skull crushers trying to attenuate the high ambient noise.

K8BZ and N0TZU like this.
  8. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use Koss they are the UR-29 cheap model. I've tried sets from Heil,MFJ,and Kenwood. But I stick with the Koss because they are light and have a full sound. that isn't heavy on the bass.

K4RKY likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use a cheap pair of Telex. I think this model was used in language labs? Very limited response and it quietens the SSB monkey chatter and shrill CW that is kcs away that my filter hasn't gotten rid of. Shines even better on my HB QRP rig which has minimal filtering.
    No hi-fi phones for me.

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

KA4DPO and K9ASE like this.