HDMI to LCD interface boards

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA3EE, Jul 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

I managed to rescue a few bare LCD displays from the junk pile at work. Some are new in the bags, others were tested as prototypes for a product with an SBC inside. Unfortunately the company went under and I can't pick anyone's brains to ask about the displays.

I'd like to use them with a Raspberry Pi and am trying to find out what hardware I need between the HDMI output of the Pi and the input to the LCD, but I'm not familiar with LCD interfaces. Is it really as simple as finding a board with HDMI input and matching the number of input pins on the LCD? I have the spec sheet for one of them, iirc it's called an LVDS interface. Is that all I need?

Thanks
    Dave

2. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not a serious raspberry pi 4 user and stick with the HDMI port to my computer monitor, but though I would Google to see what I see. I used "lcd / lvds interface for raspberry pi" and got what I think might be a very useful page with many links to track down. I didn't look closely, but it seems there are several hardware options. It's not clear if they use the pi's HDMI port or the other connectors on the pi. Many of the add-on displays I have looked at for the pi typically use the display port connector or several of the GPIO pins on the 40-pin connector.
    Good Luck!
    Mike

3. AA3EE

AA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting project with lots of details. Maybe the 9" display they used has similarity to one of yours. The Pi has such a large following in software and hardware it seems there is no limit to what you can do with a SBC.