HDD or SSD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Jul 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the Samsung Evo 860 500Gb installed and working, I let Acronis do all the work.

Funny, when I checked Trim in cmd using fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify, it was already enabled so after all this while it must have been running on the 'spinner' drive as well.

Don't think I'll ever fill all that space, looks like spinners are past their sell by date. Pleased and well worth it I'd say.

Dave

2. N1NA

N1NA Subscriber QRZ Page

I love a SSD for the OS, but HDD for data and stuff. 6 Years ago, I found a great cloning product that has saved my butt numerous times. FYI it is Macrium Reflect and for personal use it is free.
    I did purchase the pro version for my Exchange and Domain controller.
    For our PCs I have setup a scheduled clone weekly.
    FYI, the are a British company, so you do not need to learn Hindi for support.

K8HIT likes this.
  3. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thinking of a SSD for my dell E6410. The drives are ok (win7pro, linux mint, & XP) but the laptop gets hot when running off the HD. Running off a stick is ok so can anyone speak about the heat from SSD vs HD, I'm sure the speed will be like turbo boost
    Just about ready to disassemble & see if the heat transfer paste needs replacing - fan is ok
    What SSD brand is recommended for compatability, the drives are sata.
    Read different "convert to SSD" stories, some conxern about some 2-3mm thickness problem with the connectors, maybe thats been fixed
    I think a 250G would be fine for size

4. N3AT

N3AT Ham Member QRZ Page

SSD, Micron or Samsung. It will blow the doors off an conventional hard drive. I have some over three years old. No failures to date. Modern mechanical hard drives, in the non enterprise class, are pushing their luck after five years.

5. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

thanks, I'll look into those.
    found out somethine cool on my laptop- its a 64bit I7
    for a few years now I've put 32bit OS' on the drives simply because thats what was installed there in the first place
    Always thought it was a 32 bit laptop and never checked.
    Just finishing installing linux mint 64 bit on there, so far the unit is substantially cooler than when 32bit mint was running off HD
    Must have been something wrong with the 32bit 17.3 mint that was on there, reliable but slow and very hot
    I'm expecting the SSD will run with less generated heat