ad: M2Ant-1

HDD or SSD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Jul 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, wasn't too sure. Dave

2. G4COE

WF7A persuaded me.... I got a Sammy Evo 500 Gb, 1 Tbyte far too OTT for me since I use another drive for storage, only used 31Gb on a 250Gb 'spinner'. Should be here tomorrow.

Dave

WF7A likes this.
  3. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

NVME M.2? If so, do a benchmark before & after. You will be amazed.

Ed

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Good deal, Dave. Now where's my kickback from Amazon...

I'll be ordering another* Samsung 1TB EVO later this week to replace The Wifoid's "spinner" drive--she's hard on hard drives because throughout the day she writes and deletes many videos/large files on her machine, so it's only a matter of time before it fails.

I hope you ordered the "regular" EVO and not the Pro model--you get a little more performance out of the Pro, but for everyday use the extra cost isn't worth it.

*I've been using a 1TB Samsung EVO in my MacMini the last few years and it's been a stellar performer; we use that make/model exclusively at work where they've performed flawlessly there as well.

5. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take a look at Clonezilla. It is a free drive imaging tool. It's based on Linux and will "backup/image" a Windows drive just fine along with all versions of Linux. It will backup all your partitions & data. It doesn't include empty space in the image. When you "restore" your drive image, it will put back all your partitions and the data. It will even restore to a different size or type of drive. I have used it quite a bit and it's one of the tools I keep on a thumb drive, ready to use.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are SSD drives made ?

China ?

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not sure how this matters, but yes--at least in part.

It isn't like HDDs are not made in China.

8. G4COE

Nah, still on gas pipe ere, I got a SATA . Dave

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Even over SATA, you will be impressed with the speed of nearly everything you do.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the price may go up with the 10% recent increase.

Only matters a little bit.

W4EAE likes this.