HDD or SSD?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by G4COE, Jul 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes there are bigger problems if a house burns down. But after you get through that, it would be a shame to lose family photos that are digital. Photo library, music (purchased mp3) library and other things have some "value" and I don't want to lose them.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Losing family photos, whether digital or on "photo paper" IS a tragedy. It is probably best to keep full back-ups both in your immediate possession AND off-site. That doesn't mean "the klowd," but in a bank safe deposit box, or even at work in a bottom desk drawer. THAT can protect against drive failure, and provides some measure of theft protection. Your music library, if digital, can be backed-up likewise; if sheet music, scan and save digital images. and above all. store copies in different locations.
    ALL too often, I have to deal with clients who lament "I was GOING to back up everything... tomorrow.:(:oops:" Reminds me of the old saying: "TODAY is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday."

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

I have both SSD and HDDs.
    Operating system only on the SSD then data on the HDD. Second, identical HDD with nightly mirroring.
    Operating systems are expendable.
    All important data is synced with all laptops and desktops in the household.

Frank

4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

If I have an image made from my 1TB HDD C: drive can I restore that image to a 1TB SSD? If not then it would be a massive undertaking to replace the C: drive with a SSD.

5. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

Short answer is: yes. Long answer is: yes, but it might be a little complicated.

There is always a chance that your specific software would not like restoring an image to anything but an identical drive. In that case, you would have to mount the image and copy the files.

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

...especially if apps/software use the drive's UUID (unique ID number for the drive) as part of an anti-piracy scheme--that's how I encoded my software; in the registration process, my software grabs the hard or SSD drive's UUID and I use that as part of an encrypted key that's sent back to the user for registration purposes. So, don't be surprised if some apps don't think they're registered/paid for after cloning them to a new drive.

7. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I still prefer HDD's for a few reasons. The technology is mature, a 7200 RPM 1 TB WD drive is cheaper than an SSD, many Linux filesystems are "journaling" and I believe there were issues to consider with SSD, at least in the early days. I'm open to reevaluation as the technology matures.

8. W4EAE

I have zero use for 1TB SSD, and I held off on them generally because of price. But we are now at a point where a small-ish SSD hosting the operating system can provide most of the available benefit from the technology very inexpensively.

I view a journaling filesystem as part and parcel of any good data protection scheme.

9. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Now am worrying, you guys persuaded me to get a SSD for a main drive, but this eer' Linux journaling I'll need to read up... we just can't have our librarian clodding books all over the show can we cos it'll take a month of Sundays just to find one. Doesn't Trim work on Linux?

Dave

10. W4EAE

Trim does indeed work on Linux.