ad: chuckmartin

Hazer H-4 winch stuck

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NZ5F, Sep 3, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I just put up a rohn 25 tower at 33' and i raised the antenna and for some reason having technical issue with both the antenna (varying SWR, probably bad connection to the hairpin match or the match moved), and also a faulty rotator. i also put on the tower a Hazer H-4 so i could change out antennas or do maintenance or deal with issues like today.

The Hazer H-4 will not come down and when I try to get it to come down the winch arm loosens and comes off. I have no idea what to do with this situation as I really don't want to climb under it or around it.

i was thinking of hiring a bucket truck or something but it would not be easy to get into my backyard where the house bracketed tower is located. We would need to take down our fence for someone to drive in.

Any suggestions would be great.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure the "winch is stuck," and not the cable itself, which could be jammed in the pulley near the top of the tower?

If it's a jammed cable, that's a very common problem.

3. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Steve. Very frustrating. It went up fine. But won’t come down. My nine element 6m antenna is just stuck and I haverotator issues and the hairpin I put on it seemed to move and throw off the antenna resonance. Very frustrating. Happy Labor Day!

Attached Files:

4. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

878DDBD2-CC45-4E76-9E02-83FE9F96CE6D.jpeg Here is another photo.

5. N4MTB

N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having the cable jammed in the pulley at the top when the Hazer is all the way up. Please be careful if someone climbs to free it, I'd hate to see the Hazer come running down!

6. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple ideas including renting a bucket. Need to put this off until next weekend. I will have to think about the best solution.

7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like, in the second pic you posted, that the Hazer is sitting on the spring loaded latch mechanism.

Good luck, and be careful,

NZ5F likes this.
  8. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

The safety latch is stuck. I also think the winch is having some issues I am not really sure about.

9. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

EEB3CC6D-6B0A-4706-95BE-8F3AB540180A.jpeg Here is a photo. I see that the safety latch is not letting the tower down. It is blocking movement.

10. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t have a pull cord on the latch. No wonder.

ND6M likes this.