ad: MLSons-1

Hawaii No Power Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Jul 2, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

YES!

AA4BQ and N2NH like this.
  2. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Over the years many Hams in the Islands have been through power outages due to Hurricanes,Quakes etc so an
    Exercise like this is valuable in a vulnerable environment. :cool:

G3SEA/KH6

3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...because Field Day and SET don't already address this, right?

4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

..and how many have forgotten this?

It is massive portable generators for some.

..and that may be okay if practicing for having a massive Search and Rescue command post for six counties, for example.

However, working out getting signal while backpack portable in the mountains can be the more useful skill set.

I would be happy if most got together a reliable portable kit,

5. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it acceptable with edible fuel?

Then this would be good:

6. KD2MIC

KD2MIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think it's acceptable. Not sure how good you are after passing out, but hey...

KH6OWL and SA1CKE like this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Capri pants, wacker vest, blue hair ... thanks a bunch. Now to go wash my eyes out with bleach.

SA1CKE likes this.
  8. N3RZU

N3RZU Ham Member QRZ Page

All of my operations from the back porch are solar powered, battery and temporary antennas with waterproof military manpack radios operating QRP. Try it sometime it can be rewarding especially when you break a pileup. More contesters should break the pace for QRP stations now and then. Just got all but two of the 13 colony stations this week with 4+or - watts. Two years did the RT66 on the air for a clean sweep. A lot of failures also. Field Day was 66 contacts in 11 hours and just everyday contacts got New Caledonia with the real QRP for over 6000 miles. Transceivers vary from home brew to PRC-74, PRC-104, TRC-77, Home brew direct conversion SSB, and some tube type but batteries go down too quick with them and they are car batteries. My favorite lately has been a PRC-320 Clansman from the UK and two small solar panels to make 36 volts and a regulator to charge the 24 volt batteries for it. It also has piercing audio which on transmit helps. Will be around for the Hawaiian event. 73 N3RZU

9. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    this.

10. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, that is not mine. Maybe you are looking for someone else.

11. K4TO

K4TO Ham Member QRZ Page

I applaud the concept of this contest and the use of WINLINK. But, strictly speaking, it isn't a purely radio contact. WINLINK is definitely an asset during emergencies and the effort to include it in a "no power" situation should be rewarded. I think a bonus could be given for having WINLINK capability at your radio site, but to give each contact 6 point seems to unfairly bias the scoring against the "pure radio" modes of contacts. Good luck and I will listen for the KH6's on the higher frequencies. 73 .. Dave, K4TO

12. W1AVK

W1AVK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please don't get rid of the "Delta" category, because not all of us can get out in the field and this keeps us going. Plus, every station is part of the circuit and a QRP and 100 watt (D station) just might get the message through. W1AVK Rob

G3SEA likes this.
  13. KB6EGA

KB6EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Perc ran fd this year with no genarator!! Just batteries and solar. KB6EGA president of the club.

KH6OWL likes this.
  14. YC2YWB

YC2YWB Ham Member QRZ Page

hello good afternoon .... I am an amateur member from Indonesia who wants to meet you all ... I want to exchange the QSL card for friendship ... greetings from YC2YWB Indonesia 73

KH6OWL likes this.
  15. YC2YWB

YC2YWB Ham Member QRZ Page

i want your qsl card.. im want to YC2YWB from indonesia TQ 73