ad: Radclub22-1

Hawaii No Power Contest

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KH6OWL, Jul 2, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KH6OWL

KH6OWL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Yes it is a strange name, but we mean no commercial supplied power.

Purpose: The purpose of this contest is to get on the air, check your equipment, make contacts and have fun. Contact as many amateur radio operators as possible in the allotted time period with as many modes as you can. Ensure you are ready for power outages and Hurricane season.

No Commercial power can be used. You can contact someone that is using commercial power but you cannot use it for your contact. (This is an honor system contest, you can participate with commercial power to help others out but you would not be able to submit a log or get a certificate. Please do not spot for others if you have commercial power).

Once you make a contact with someone you can coordinate with that operator to go to another frequency and work them on all modes and receive points for each mode.

Date / Time of Event: The first annual No Power Contest will be held on 21 July 2019 from 1300 to 1700 Hours (1PM to 5 PM)

Approved Power Sources:

Vehicle Power
    Solar Power
    Battery Power
    Wind Power

Approved Contact Modes:

UHF
    VHF
    CW
    APRS
    SSTV
    HF
    Repeaters
    Simplex

(Currently DMR or other Digital Modes cannot be used for awarded points)

Points awarded based on Contact Mode Used:

MODE Points

UHFRepeater 1
    VHF Repeater 1
    Simplex –UHF or VHF 2
    CW 3
    APRS 4
    SSTV 5
    WINLINK 6
    HF 7
    Satellite 8

Off Island Contact: If you contact someone on an island different than the one you are located on, you get 5 bonus points, plus the points for the type of mode you used.
    Example: If you are on Oahu and contact someone on Maui using Simplex, you get 5 points for the off Island contact and 2 points for the Simplex contact for a total of 7 points for that one contact. (If the off island station is using commercial power you still get the 5 points and the 2 points for this example)

Bonus Points: If you make a contact on all modes listed above under “Approved Contact Modes”, you will be awarded 50 additional points.

Exchange: Call Sign, Contact Number, and Grid Square. You can find your grid square using apps for phones or a computer if you are not using commercial power. One such computer website is https://www.qrz.com/gridmapperthen click on the map and it will show a box with the grid square in it. If you are going to work the contest from your QTH (Home), remember your station cannot be hooked up to commercial power, then go to your QRZ page, click on the “Details” tab and find your Grid Square. Example of a Exchange that I would send to my first contact would be, “This is KH6OWL, you are contact #1, BL01”

Logs must be submitted in the approved excel spreadsheet. You can calculate your points prior to submission. Submit Logs to KH6OWL@ARRL.NETno later than 3 days from the end of contest.

Certificate Emailed to all stations submitting a log sheet.

Social Media / Website: More information will be posted at http://www.hamradiohawaii.com/no-power-contestand https://www.facebook.com/groups/HamRadioHawaii/

Permalink: https://hamradiohawaii.wordpress.com/2019/06/28/ham-radio-hawaii-no-power-contest/

AA4BQ, VK3GOR, KB1GKN and 4 others like this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I love the 'no power' concept. It is what field day should be.:)

N7KO, KB8AMZ, KV4NC and 10 others like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

EXACTLY!!!!!

Get rid of the "Delta" category, but, the sponsor is afraid about lack of participants.

N7KO, KB8AMZ, NU4R and 1 other person like this.
  4. K8NS

K8NS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. K8NS

K8NS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like that, a no power field day, all stns qso'd must be no commercial power

N7KO, KB8AMZ and NU4R like this.
  6. K5PAP

K5PAP Ham Member QRZ Page

This contest is for those in Hawaii only correct? Also, I noticed that generators were not mentioned in their list, but, vehicles were. Just curious.

I like the idea of no commercial power.

N7KO and KB8AMZ like this.
  7. AD6I

AD6I Ham Member QRZ Page

We did our field day "no power" (batteries and solar only), and it was great fun. The "A-Battery" class really should be raised from the current 5 watts to 100 watts.

KB8AMZ likes this.
  8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

Contest made to cheat.

K1OIK likes this.
  9. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to me that a contact to a station outside of Hawaii should count at least as much as an inter-island contact, but that's not clear in the rules as posted in this thread. Another question is whether they want logs from stations outside Hawaii.

As for generators, the omission does seem glaring. But after a hurricane, supplies of gasoline can be very scarce. There is value in using wind or solar to be as independent as possible, but if that's the concern, perhaps vehicle power should be forbidden.

These issues are up to those who make and interpret the rules, of course. And ultimately, the contest scoring doesn't matter as much as peoples preparedness to do what needs to be done when the situation calls for it for real.

N4GST likes this.
  10. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I absolutely love this.

No fuel powered generators is GREAT. In a long term emergency you can't depend on an internal combustion engine. I want to try a small micro hydro generator as I have a stream running through the property. That should provide endless power for radios and small lights.

N7KO, KB8AMZ and W8LLW like this.
  11. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's okay... if they perform like they practice, the cheaters will be off the air once the power goes out. And on the islands, there are a lot of places where it's not at all difficult to have power outages.

G3SEA and NU4R like this.
  12. N3RZU

N3RZU Ham Member QRZ Page

You give a date and time but what time zone? should be in GMT or UTC.

KH6OWL likes this.
  13. KH6OWL

Interesting Idea, I am still working on the rules as this is the first time. I think I would add generator and maybe special category for multi-fuel generators.

14. KH6OWL

Interesting Idea, I am still working on the rules as this is the first time. I think I would add generator and maybe special category for multi-fuel generators. Yes PR ran out of fuel and could not use generators. I think adding a catorgoy for off of Hawaii maybe a good idea as well. Maybe extra points.

AG6QR likes this.
  15. KH6OWL

HST.