having trouble setting DTSS---need help

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K5BDJ, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5BDJ

K5BDJ QRZ Member QRZ Page

I have a Kenwood TM-261, and haven't used it for maybe three years. Now, I'm hoping to get it back in service. The manual is confusing.

How do you set DTSS in this radio? The manual says Press (F), (1's). Pressing F is fine. But, where do I find (1's) ???

Our repeater where I live has PL 167.9. I hope this gets me into this repeater.

2. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You DON'T want digital tone! You need regular CTCSS.

Glen, K9STH

3. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they mean push the F key and hold it down for at least one second.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think so too.

I used to have that same Kenwood rig (many rigs ago!) and don't have it anymore, but never thought it was a tough one to program. I'll bet the "1's" is actually "1s" which is "one second."

5. N5SJS

N5SJS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think they sold an add-on board for tone decode. I do remember having to go back and forth through the manual
    to program the TM-261A. Of course a lot of others are that way,with more features included today.
    73,David

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't need tone decode to access a repeater. Only need tone encode (CTCSS). It had that standard, for sure.

7. K5BDJ

K5BDJ QRZ Member QRZ Page

Many thanks, guys. I'm going to have to change my rig to access our repeater.

And yes, it's 1 second (why didn't I think of that???) .

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I must have installed a hundred CTCSS encoders in Regency, SBE, Icom, Genave ETC 2M rigs back in the 70's.
    The non-technical hams then thought it was a conspiracy of the repeater barons to keep them off the "machines" :D
    In reality it was the guys in Cleveland using the same channels we did and band openings causing problems from across Lake Erie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.