ad: wmr-1

Have you tried PSK31?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5DVW, Feb 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5DVW

K5DVW Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you heard about one of the newer text modes in Ham Radio, PSK31?

I knew that it existed but really didn't know anything about it until this weekend. I ran across this free PSK31 decoder program on the internet (WinPSK)and downloaded it. It runs on the PC and uses the soundcard to decode and generate PSK31 signals. I downloaded and ran the program. It's very easy to use and quite intuitive.

Originally I just wanted to hook my tranceiver RX audio to the soundcard to see what activity was there and to figure out my interest level. Oh, don't forget to set your rig to SSB. It was amazing, just with this simple set up, I was decoding MANY PSK signals at 28.120 Mhz. I was seeing DX in the middle of the day at my central US QTH.

The way the mode works is several, like a dozen or more, QSOs can fit into a 2 Khz wide spectrum, or about the same width of one SSB channel. The computer program gives you a spectrum analysis of the 2Khz and you can see the various QSOs. Just click on one to demodulate and read the activity.

So, now I could receive PSK, but could I transmit it? I immediately set out to hook up my TX. I used shielded audio cable (shielding is very important if you dont want RF to corrupt your audio lines) and connected one end to the speaker output of the soundcard. I connected the other end to the modulator input of my IC706. A TX test setup routine in the program will generate PSK tones so that you can set up your transmitter. This is the only critical step to the whole process, so don't skip it. It's VERY easy to overdrive your transmitter by hitting the modulator input with too much audio drive. This will irritate a lot of PSKers since you'll wipe out a large portion of the band segment with spurrious sidebands plus nobody will reply to you since an overdriven TX can't be demodulated.

Fortunately setting up the TX correctly is easy. The way to properly set up the TX is use the PSK tones, transmit and adjust the audio drive level coming from the computer (usually found in the TX setup menu on the PSK program, or you can use a variable resistor in line with the audio) until your ALC meter shows you're not limiting, and for good linearity, back the audio down just a little more and DONT, DONT, DONT use the speech compressor since by design, the tend to overdrive the TX preamp just a bit. Also, dont run much power, somewhere between 5W and 50W should do fine and net you plenty of DX. You'll see a lot of QRP working great DX. Most run about 25W.

One other lose end is how to hook the rigs TX line to the computer for totally automated TX keying. At first I just used a switch to key the transmitter when I wanted to send, it got me on the air fast, but this became cumbersome. In some rigs you can use the VOX function to key the TX. It's pretty easy to use a transistor as a switch to pull the TX line low on your rig and the PSK program provides an outlet on computer rs-232 connector for driving a transistor (check the programs help file for more info on this). Boom, you're on the air sending text.

One other piece of advice is to take a few hours and just monitor other QSO's to see what the format is and how to establish contacts.

If you haven't tried PSK31 and you have a rig and a computer with a soundcard, take a few hours to give it a shot and let me know what you think!

Check out these frequencies for PSK activity.
    1838 Khz
    3580 Khz
    7080 Khz
    10.142 Mhz
    14.070 Mhz
    18.100 Mhz
    21.080 Mhz
    24.920 Mhz
    28.120 Mhz

I am also interested to know if anyone has run PSK31 above 6m.

K5DVW

2. K8CCA

K8CCA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PSK31 is great fun.  We have used it locally on 2 meters once or twice, but the real fun is on ten or twenty meters when the band is open.

The really nice thing about getting PSK31 up and running in your shack is that many other modes are just a quick Download away.  You can be on HF modes like PSK31, SSTV, RTTY, MT-63, CW and others, or VHF modes like APRS, Packet, DX Cluster, and  High Speed Meteor Scatter (HTMS) with the proper software.  If you don't want to take the time to download the various software, or you don't have your computer interfaced to your radio via the serial port to key the rig, and an attenuator to protect the mic input of your rig, I sell the "Digi-Face Kit" $14.99 + Shipping to make it super easy to get on these modes.  See:

http://www.i2k.com/~emoore/Digi-face.html

Kit includes the interface parts minus the rig connectors, since there are so many different rigs, and many software packages for various modes.  Assembly takes about an hour!

Eric
    K8CCA

3. VE6BUD

VE6BUD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey there. I've heard some things about the Rigblaster but I wouldn't mind
    getting your opinions of it. Supposedly it can do all of the digital modes.

It's been a while since I've been on the air (Been out of the hobby for a
    few years) and I'd like to get back on HF, working all my favorite digital modes.

My old TNC used to be a AEA PK-232MBX which I used for everything. It
    drove both my 2m and HF rig. Unfortunately, "New" and used PK-232xxx's
    are worth a blessed mint these days. Spending nearly $300 for 20 year old
    technology really doesn't seem worth it for me.

I've also noted that even Timewave's PK-232's don't do PSK-31 without a
    soundcard, so why not use the soundcard for everything? Are there any TNC's
    out there that can do PSK-31? Is it even worth it these days even to use
    a TNC?

4. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Please do not, do not use 1838khz for PSK activity.  This is in the middle of the CW DX window.  To do so will bring the wrath of the CW ops on your head very quickly.

Been there, done that!!! [​IMG]

5. NP3IR

NP3IR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi:

Many person use on 6m to PSK31 the 50.290Mhz

[​IMG]

Hector Morales
    NP3IR
    FK67wx

6. KE4MOB

KE4MOB Ham Member QRZ Page

Reply to VE6BUD:

Yes, there is still room for TNC's.  A lot of the ops on RTTY swear by FSK (not AFSK) and have used a TNC for years and years and years, and wouldn't think of giving them up.  It's kinda a tip of the hat to the old "mechanical monster" RTTY machines of days past.  

Plus, if you operate Pactor, Clover, or GTOR, you're pretty much going to have use a TNC....I don't think there are any software programs that will handle those modes on TX.

Problem is, most TNC's are dated....as you mention, those that supposedly "handle" PSK31 really only serve as a very nice T/R switch...the computer and soundcard does all the detection and decoding.  Maybe someone will take the initiative and put a really robust TNC that would really handle some of the new modes.  Of course, they may be holding off to see which modes survive!!  

Until then, I primarily operate Pactor and RTTY, so my 1278B does fine for me!  

Steve, KE4MOB

7. KE0VH

KE0VH Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] PSK 31 is fun, and I use the Hamscope software available for free.  I have a link on my website, www.ke0vh.homestead.com.  Also, I really like the MFSK16 mode, which is readable even under very poor signal conditions.  And, if you already have a phone patch, you can use it to interface the audio.  Very cool and makes great use of the computer in the shack.  Lots written on these modes too, so it is easy to learn about.  AND, I worked LV5V in Argentina on RTTY the other night with only 25 watts out from a Kenwood TS-120.  I hope to see lots of others pick up this mode and get on the bands.  I am looking forward to working some of them on 6m soon too.

Jack KE0Vh

8. K2WH

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (VE6BUD @ Feb. 10 2002,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey there. I've heard some things about the Rigblaster but I wouldn't mind
    getting your opinions of it. Supposedly it can do all of the digital modes.

It's been a while since I've been on the air (Been out of the hobby for a
    few years) and I'd like to get back on HF, working all my favorite digital modes.

My old TNC used to be a AEA PK-232MBX which I used for everything. It
    drove both my 2m and HF rig. Unfortunately, "New" and used  PK-232xxx's
    are worth a blessed mint these days. Spending nearly $300 for 20 year old
    technology really doesn't seem worth it for me.

I've also noted that even Timewave's PK-232's don't do PSK-31 without a
    soundcard, so why not use the soundcard for everything? Are there any TNC's
    out there that can do PSK-31? Is it even worth it these days even to use
    a TNC?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Almost all new (withing 2 years) digital modes make use of the sound card in the computer. A much more cost effective way of getting on the air.

9. KC0ISU

KC0ISU Ham Member QRZ Page

After setting up PSK31 on my base station, I started surfing around the Internet and found out that SSTV also uses the same mechanism. So I downloaded a shareware program and monitored the 20m SSTV net. Cool beans! The program was shareware, and automatically exited at 30 minutes. Not a bad deal to let you taste something and then decide whether or not to order it. [​IMG]

Now, I have to work on the automatic switcher, like RIG blaster. I know what you mean by encumbering. 73 [​IMG]

10. KC8PPD

KC8PPD Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget, those who want to try it quickly can use the PC mic and place it on the rig speaker to start decoding PSK signals. Conversely, you can use your rig microphone and place it on the PC speaker to get you on the air.

11. KF6IIU

KF6IIU Ham Member QRZ Page

PKS31 rocks but too many ops are overdriving their rigs.

Let's not be afraid to reply (politely!) to signals that are more than 1 "railroad track" wide.

12. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Setting your drive level by watching the ALC meter is OK, but just OK and better than nothing. The meter just isn't sensitive enough. The best way I've found to not overdrive is to leave the mic gain and power level where you normally keep it and adjust the computer's or interface's drive until you show 5, 10, 15 watts output.....  More power should hardly ever be needed. It should go with out saying, don't use the speech compresser...ever!  Be sure to disconnect the mic if you are going into the radio's ACC. plug.  Disabling all the computer 'beeps, boops and assorted cutsie little sounds' is in order too; they will be transmitted.  I have been "tub thumping" for PSK on 144.144 (ssb, NOT fm) but I'm begining to believe that the 'if it doesn't hang on your belt and have a squelch tail, it ain't ham radio' group just isn't going to give it a try..... and it's a real shame too,  2 (ssb) PSK has real potential. For what it's worth, the RigBlaster is a fine piece of equipment to be sure but check out the BuxComm 'Little Rascal'. It's ready to go and doesn't need a nasty old, outlet hogging wall wart. If someone around the St. Louis area would like to set up a 2 meter PSK try e-mail me at k0cba@arrl.net. I usually have a 150 to 200 mile coverage area to a reasonably equipped station. 73, Bob

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I've also downloaded  psk31 software and have enjoyed watching the qso's....but I haven't made the connection from the soundcard to the rig to transmit.  Being a new ham...this little project is giving me pause because I'm not sure if my ICOM 718 requires an attenuator between the soundcard and the rig. It has an accessory jack on the back...and it seems like it would not need the attenuator.  Does anyone have an opinion?  kb9zdi@hotmail.com

14. K2WH

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc0isu @ Feb. 10 2002,09:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After setting up PSK31 on my base station, I started surfing around the Internet and found out that SSTV also uses the same mechanism. So I downloaded a shareware program and monitored the 20m SSTV net. Cool beans! The program was shareware, and automatically exited at 30 minutes. Not a bad deal to let you taste something and then decide whether or not to order it. [​IMG]

Now, I have to work on the automatic switcher, like RIG blaster. I know what you mean by encumbering. 73 [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't buy any software for SSTV!!!! It is freely available and not a demo program either. Then name of the software is - MMSSTV. Find it on the web, download it and you are on SSTV fully loaded. It is an excellent program. Top of the line.

Bill
    K2WH

15. KB9UMT

KB9UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the great posting on PSK!!!!

PSK and digital is the way to go!! Great mode and I highly recommend it for anyone. I would say for those with restrictions on power, antennas and the like this is the mode for you! I also say for those with restrictions on radio time with a family this is a great way to Ham and still be "family friendly". I have used PSK when fishing for signals in my waterfall were only a few at a time whereas now there are many many singals at any given time and on all bands!

BTW there are sure many more things you can do with that soundcard once you are set for PSK.....voice recorder, DSP, other modes (SSTV, RTTY, HELL, etc), Vox recorder....much more to do!

Many times just the reading of new modes or equipment throw many of us for a loop and we are unsure and it would be nice to talk to someone to get some views on this new stuff....so if you ever need some help on this mode then please feel free to email me direct and I will help you direct with anything I can.

73's de kb9umt Don Peoria IL
    email: kb9umt@arrl.net
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.