Have you ever operated an ARRL VHF contest FM only?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N3AWS, May 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you have, which bands were the most productive and which were the worst? I am debating with myself whether to try FM only or 6, 2, 0.7 meters category.

N3AWS

2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes.

This is the best way to get surrounded by the non-contesters @ the next hamfest and bullied into
    buying them lunch. Without FM, these guys would starve. Remember these guys listen unsquelched.

RRK

KO4LZ likes this.
  3. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I laughed for several minutes after reading that :).

KA2RRK likes this.
  4. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have operated SOFM several times. To be competitive, run all 4 bands, unless you operate in a section/state/division where almost no one enters that category.

In January 2019 I would have won with a score of 27 here as SOFM. Instead I 'roved' with HTs and worked no one in 3 grids and almost no one in 2 others. Had I not called /rover early on I should have been SOFM and turned in the few I worked.

In every contest on FM I have way more 2m by far. I found little activity on 6m FM, but always was ready, and for that I'd recommend having a 6m vertical tuned to the sinplex part in your area (ours is 52.525 but it may vary regionally), and perhaps even just a simple dipole for 6m as well, since the 6m crowd can usually just spin the VFO or flip a switch and work you on FM. But being cross-polarized it makes it a lot more difficult. 100w on 6m FM into a beam isn't bad at all. Ask the SSB ahead of the contest to QSY or something.

Usually I work quite a few on 70cm FM and significantly fewer on 223. This last contest I worked more 223 than I ever had, not just because I was a rover, but a lot more people had it now. A Baofeng 223 on a decent antenna works well enough. My G29 Alinco digs out weaker ones but my 223 beam did most of it.

But thats just my area here in CN85. Its a totally different contest in CN88 (Seattle area) and elsewhere.

N3AWS likes this.