ad: KX3help-1

Have you backed off your QRP activities due to the solar cycle

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K4YND, Oct 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was 40 meters at my place last night according to PSK Reporter. It shows what I was hearing on JT-65/9. I worked a few stations in DX grids I'd not worked before with my Mighty 2 watt Ten Tec 505 to my 72 foot Inverted L through my homebrew 9:1 unun and 50 feet of RG-58.

That big light blue blob in the middle, in the eastern US, is me. DX ain't dead.

2016-12-18 PSK_Reporter.jpg

Edit: punctuation

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  2. N4ADK

N4ADK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. I'm just joining! My solution to the sun spot cycle, CW.

W5ABH likes this.
  3. W8ZNX

W8ZNX Subscriber QRZ Page

ahoy

last few weeks have had a few
    fine business rag chew contacts
    75 meters phone using the IC 703

mac

4. W5ABH

W5ABH Ham Member QRZ Page

not even a little. making great contact qrp both ssb and cw daily on homemade wire antennas.

5. KG5BJV

KG5BJV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to say hi everyone! Ive only stopped operating for a while because the weather is getting much colder. When i operate im outside in my back yard, i dont use a permanent antenna outside i just put it up and take it down when finished before dark. QRP does not mean compromise antennas!!??? The only compromise is my height its not practical to set up 30ft or more of aluminum at both ends for an end fed wire antenna by yourself!! Yes i know i could use a couple of push up masts/poles but i dont feel like spending $200 or so. If you spend the day listening and calling on each band you will work dx. I have worked new countrys with a non compromise antenna check my page and log book.

6. KG6LI

KG6LI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

QRP is about expectations.... My activity has not slowed up a bit, that being said, when I go out I keep my expectations in check. But I get as much satisfaction out of a good rag chew with a ham in a neighboring state as I do with a DX contact. But this time of the cycle suggests to the average QRP'er to do your homework. Look that the numbers and set expectations.

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Have I ? Not one bit! Maybe more so this last 30 days.
    It's a more fun challenge to work QRP in the season's worst conditions; During night time thunderstorms in the region & doing 80m CW.
    With the proper adjustment of a good receiver (Drake R7 here) CW audio filtering and mil headfones the crashes are a non-issue for me.
    My rx operating formula for success; AGC OFF, RF Gain just enough to hear code,Narrow I.F. from 500 to 300Hz, Bandpass and Notch to peak,
    Use a good CW audio filter; my old MSC Smart Filter and surplus Signal Corps fones with ear sealing rubber cushions.
    I have enjoyed working several regional 80m QRP operators lately at night during QRN and found I really enjoy this new operating challenge.
    Give it a try! You may enjoy it too!
    And Special Thanks to the few die-hard QRP ops who will work however / whenever!
    VY 73 lane de n8aft
    3545 and /or 3560+-kHz after 0130 til 0530 UTC weekdays/weekends