Have you backed off your QRP activities due to the solar cycle

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K4YND, Oct 10, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Well.... no. I've been operating QRP all along. The way I see it is that it's much like Golf: we have to play the course as it IS, not how we want it to be. OR maybe poker: we play the cards we HAVE, not the cards we wish we had.

Besides, if a Ham doesn't operate, then they can't find the perfect windows now can they?

What I've found lately is the donut effect where I can get great DX and long-haul QSOs, but the mid and short range contacts are almost impossible. That's ok, though. I like folks in Oregon and North Dakota just as much as I do folks in Atlanta or Florida. ;)

K5AGE, K2ZA and K4YND like this.
  2. WB2HLM

WB2HLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Still work 40 and 80 CW with no difficulty. 20, 15, 10 less so, but 20 opens up every once and a while. Have to be smarter and look at propagation sites to predict where to go and when. 55 yrs + experience here so I have been through the valleys before.

3. AA4GA

AA4GA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No...I still operate 99% QRP. Primarily on 20 and 40, looking forward to more on 80 and 160 as the season progresses...and I get up a K9AY array.

In fact, I've actually worked two new countries in the past couple weeks, bringing me up to 200 at 5W to an 80m doublet.

I'm not saying I won't QRO some more than I have recently, but if I do, it's not really from sunspot frustration...just for a change of pace: I'm enjoying using an old Drake 2-NT from time to time and plan to use it a little more.

4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the current band condx,... I've "tripled":eek: my output !! It seems to be helping a bit. (I went from my HW-9 (5 watts) to the Tentec Century-22 (15 watts).
    If condx continue to deteriorate,.. I'm ready to "Quadruple" my putput:D by using my HW-16 / Eico-722 (60 watts) !!!:)

Steve / W5BIB

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    WD0BCT and KC8VWM like this.
  5. AI6KX

AI6KX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sadly, yes. I have not worked much DX with QRP in several months except for the SE Asia countries that I have a pipeline into.. 20 and 15 either have pileups or nothing. 17 is interesting now and then. So I find myself turning on the mighty 70-watt amp more often than not.

I hope I can change this report when I finally get my new Hexbeam onto the tower after typhoon season!!

Steve in Okinawa

6. KC3DVP

KC3DVP Ham Member QRZ Page

Well this is mostly encouraging. If you don't succeed, try again.

7. WB2HLM

WB2HLM Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP is great. No trouble from the neighbors and one is a ham! Said he wasn't afraid of my radiation, only 5 watts out. This is the time to get the lower bands, 160, 80, 40 going; watch and listen; build bigger antennas; study propagation. It can add another dimension to the hobby; making contacts during bad conditions. Try new stuff. I'm trying out a 280' loop at 30 feet to see it this helps my 80 M CW contacts. My G5 RV just wasn't doing it and my 104' EFLW does nothing on 160. So, let's get going.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Plenty of good QSOs can be done with QRP after dark on 40, 60 and 80M in the cold months when the thunderstorm QRN starts to fade away.
    Daylight QRP on 40M is still pretty easy to do.

9. WH6EAO

WH6EAO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in Hawaii qrp is quite a challenge, but that's what we'd expect from qrp right? If i'm fortunate, I'll get in 2-3 ssb 5w contacts from various parts of the pacific rim a month. Thanks to digi modes I can triple that. A couple years ago with good conditions I could get qso's in all the surrounding continents. It's pretty tough being in the middle of the Pacific with no one for thousands of miles.

keeping it posifive, keeping it hardcore qrp

10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

On the reverse side of this challenge, I have managed to work Hawaii on a few occasions while operating in the great outdoors recently.

I was on 20m SSB using an FT-817 (max 5 watts) connected to a 7AH portable AGM battery and I was using a homebrew rotatable dipole arrangement attached on top of a telescopic painters pole. The portable antenna was in the air at around 15 feet.

So apparently qrp propagation must be working in our favor in both directions.... lol

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016