Have we worked before?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by KC8VWM, Jun 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 2E0BPP

2E0BPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Two thoughts:

1) If qrz.com is already up why not use a logging program as well that gives the worked previously information automatically? I personally use MixW and don't have qrz loaded.

2) The logbook api gives information that allows users to write their own routines. Just use the fetch QSO and get the previously worked QSO info or not. I personally use this interface to add QSOs to qrz log book when the QSO is saved and update QSOs if more information becomes available using Windows Scripting Host.

Colin 2E0BPP

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes when working portable QRP, you don't have the luxury of using a computer logging program, or even a laptop for that matter

But you might have your Andriod smartphone with you and the QRZ Droid app loaded up in it.

3. KC8VWM

No I suppose it doesn't need to be complicated, and that's the point of it all. It simplifies things.

Since a LOT of people use QRZ lookup when they are making contacts with other people, for things like where they need to point their Yagi, it would be nice to see at a glance if we ever worked the person before. Might save wear and tear on the rotor too. Hate to call the guy again, if we already just worked each other last week. He might become annoyed or something. (Yes, that actually does happen.)

4. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The logging software I use, by N3FJP, checks for dupes automatically.

5. KC8VWM

Yeah so does my N3FJP logging software.

Does the QRZ online logbook have any provision to check for dupes automatically when you look them up?

6. KC8VWM

It doesn't matter. Just a suggestion for an improvement for the forum.

However, it seems there's no feedback provided from any of the website administrators regarding any users suggestions posted here, so perhaps I am in the wrong forum.

I'll be moving along now. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As to feedback, this forum is used to collect valuable ideas for consideration and possible implementation as time permits. No decision is made in the interim.

8. W5WTC

W5WTC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had my hand slapped a couple of times this weekend for dupe calls during the ARRL 10 mrt contest. the work first worry later train of thought will no longer work for me. something like a simple star for a previous contact and a different color if you have worked them in the past 48 hours. Of course some creativity could possibly allow for more detailed info such as band or mode.

9. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I enter the call sign into N2FJP - if I worked him before, it pops right up. But who cares? If it's not a contest and you cannot work him again for the same contest, where's the concern?

As Burt would say - "learn about his family, career, upbringing, how his 4th grade year was in school, the state of his goiter treatment" etc.

No biggie - work the guy a second time. I've done that a zillion times, sans goiter discussion.

If you're CONTESTING, you dang well ought to have decent logging software. Dupes are very much frowned upon in a contest, especially when "the other guy" has a very high run rate.

Dave
    W7UUU

W4IOA and W9AMM like this.
  10. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I simply type the call into my logbook ale file and as soon as QRZ fills the data it shows if I have worked that station in the past and what bands, date etc. If a new band I attempt to work them, if not I don't bother.
    Pretty simple operation here :)