ad: elecraft

Have we worked before?

Discussion in 'Suggestions and New Feature Requests' started by KC8VWM, Jun 24, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

So there it is, a DX station crackling through your speaker. Fading in and out and you make out his callsign. You type it into QRZ lookup before calling him.

So the page comes up and the guy has a really nice station, you see the details where he is located, his name etc. Then it dawns on you that his lookup page looks familiar, and you might have already worked him on this band before in the recent past... Or did you?

So then you navigate into your QRZ logbook, type his callsign into the search field to see if you did. But then by the time you did all this navigating around, back and forth, the DX is now gone.

My point being is that it seems cumbersome to go elsewhere, look up this information in either my logging software, or in the QRZ logbook , when I already have the persons QRZ lookup page already displayed on my web browser screen right in front of us.

All this flipping between that lookup page, and the QRZ logbook, or software installed on your computer to conduct a callsign search, is time consuming when you are in the heat of the DX moment.

Why doesn't QRZ have an added feature that automatically displays some kind of indicator on the persons lookup page indicating if you already worked them before in the past or not? Instantly displaying a gold star or something at the moment when you are looking up the persons callsign?

Perhaps some sort of widget box could also be added where you can enter your own callsign on the persons lookup page, and it spits out specific details when you last worked them , what band etc. before ever calling them? That might save everyone a lot of mouse clicks and browser navigation activities, speed up the process so you can decide if you should start calling them or not, and possibly save some wear and tear on the servers.

Such a flag or widget box feature displayed on the persons lookup page, might even help some people from winning the lid of the week award for already working them on the same band only a few nights ago.

Just an idea for another useful feature on QRZ for the suggestion box.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    M3ONL and W7XV like this.
  2. KC9VFO

KC9VFO Ham Member QRZ Page

What I do is when I have the stations QRZ page up I hit the 'log new contact with the station' button and it will come up if you have worked them before.

3. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Old DX axiom: Work First, Worry Later.

What's the crime if you've worked him before? You're putting yourself through a lot of garbage for nothing, IMO.

KD8ZMN and W7UUU like this.
  4. KC9VFO

Well, one reason is instead of wasting time breaking a pile up on a station you have already worked you can move on and work someone else....its easy if you do it the way I mentioned. And also it makes it easier for those who haven't worked the station....one less station in the pile up.

5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would someone want to lose their award ?

I thought a award was the reason for the contest. :confused:

Enjoy.

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also try to leave new ones for guys that haven't worked them yet.

7. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked pile-ups were the station is someone I've worked before. Usually because I know the person and it's been a while since I said "hello".

Have I committed a crime? Are the DX Police coming to arrest me?

All part of the game. Either you want to play, or you don't. ;)

8. KC9VFO

The OP was suggesting a new feature for the QRZ log book, I commented about technique I use which maybe useful to the OP . You don't use the QRZ log book, not sure why you are here other than needlessly argue ?

9. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm commenting on the ridiculous hoops he's jumping through. Work the station and worry about it later. It doesn't have to get more complicated than that.

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

In the day we had to hand log every contact.

What a spoiled world we live in, now a days.

The OP had a good point and the lid of the week award should be awarded to QRZ.com members with Duel entries. :p

Have Fun Everyone.

W9AMM likes this.