ad: ProAudio-1

Have a feeling I wasn't dealing with the REAL N6SIX...

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KD1X, Jul 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD1X

KD1X Ham Member QRZ Page

I received a response to my wanted ad for a W2IHY EQPlus this morning. Everything seemed a bit fishy, here's why

1. E-mail address from original e-mail is n6sixjoe@gmail.com, the N6SIX page on QRZ lists no e-mail address.
    2. Googling N6SIX yields a ham that is active in CA, along with his personal webpage. He does not use a GMAIL account in any instance that the call sign pops up.
    3. The paypal address that was sent to me is n6sixacevedo@gmail.com, different from your initial contact e-mail.
    4. The immediate drop from the initial offer of $345 to $300 with no resistance surprises me.
    5. He hasn't signed an e-mail with his name or call once.

Also, in full disclosure, since arrl.net emails are forwarders, and I replaced my email address with this forwarder as a way to redact my actual e-mail address, this is also what is listed on my QRZ profile.

Sent: Sunday, July 3, 2016 9:26 AM
    To: Ryan Merck <kg1zx@arrl.net>
    Subject: Re: W2ihy eq plus

Hi Ryan,

My paypal address Is

n6sixacevedo@gmail.com

please send me your complete shipping address .

Thanks & 73

On Sunday, July 3, 2016, Ryan Merck <kg1zx@arrl.net> wrote:

What is your Paypal address?

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 3, 2016, at 9:20 AM, Joseph a Acevedo <n6sixjoe@gmail.com> wrote:

Okay Ryan its a deal. I will take $300 shipped for it.

Thanks & 73

On Sunday, July 3, 2016, Ryan Merck <kg1zx@arrl.net> wrote:

Good morning,

I'm in the neighborhood of about $300 shipped, can you do that?

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 8:40 AM, Joseph a Acevedo <n6sixjoe@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have for sale a w2ihy eq plus from a non smoking home. It comes with manual, power cables, box . Asking $345 shipped. Let me know if you are interested .
    >
    > 73

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  2. WB0QPO

WB0QPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I also received an email from the same sender as a response to a WTB on the Swap Meet forum early this morning (about 4 am). I was suspicious after he stated that he had an R7 that I was looking for and it included the mic, manuals, and box. A bit strange for an antenna.

I asked for pix and description and it's been all quiet since this morning.

Alan

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell him to send you a photo of the W2IHY EQPlus and to put his QSL card or other unusual identifying object beside the equipment it in the photo.

What this does exactly is it proves he actually has this equipment to sell and he isn't using a generic photo of the item instead. He will only be able to do a photo like that only if he really has one for sale.

Another way to catch a scammer is to find out what they know about the equipment by asking them technical questions they should readily know the answers to, if they have actually used the equipment before.

Bottom line: If you feel uncomfortable doing the transaction, move along and look elsewhere.

KB0HVB likes this.
  4. WB0QPO

Yep, those are good ideas to minimize the threat.

I haven't heard from the individual since early yesterday...I must've scared him off with the pix request. Excellent.

Hopefully, others will be informed and stop this nonsense in its tracks before it gets too far.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For the R7 antenna (BTW an R7 can also be a Drake receiver, but it still wouldn't have a microphone), I'd have asked "how much for just the mike?":)

N2EY, WB0QPO and KB0HVB like this.
  6. WB0QPO

Excellent Idea. :)

7. K9TRD

K9TRD Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I just got taken by this clown. I posted a "want ad" for a Kenwood TMV 71A, got a response the next day from the exact same info as posted by the OP. He met my asking price as well, and when I asked about MARS mod, it was also done... I did ask him to verify call sign, he gave me the N6SIX.
    There must be a way to confirm these folks, as when I did a search, the QRZ info looked correct. The email was not a tip off, as I also use a separate email from my call sign. I paid through PP, so a grievance is filed for refund. After a full week with no replies I'm sure I have been had....

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, but the N6SIX account has been closed for some time.

9. AH6LE

AH6LE Ham Member QRZ Page

The guy tried to scam me as well. Funny thing is he appears to work at HRO in San Diego

Furthermore, I will NOT deal with anyone who uses a Gmail, Yahoo or similar email as EVERY ISP provides email to their customers. The services such as Gmail make it too damn easy to scam

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    WD0FIA likes this.
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

What's the evidence to support that?