HATE FLIES? TRAP'EM!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Life' started by N8AFT, Jul 2, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

A great invention used around livestock to help keep the flies away from animal's faces is the Fly Trap.
    It is sold by Tractor Supply and other farm suppliers. It's a disposable plastic bag with a one way entrance on top, Really Stinky bait inside that's activated with tap water.
    I Got my first one from TSC. It came free shipping in about 3 days.
    I added water to the line, put on a wire tie and hung it at the end of my porch deck roof. Shady part of the day.
    Sunlight heating up the ingredients makes these things REALLY go to town though!
    I re-hung it on my 160m vert out back in full sun early this morn. It's hot now!
    I don't know if you could fit anymore flies in there now. It's a buzzin like mad...
    I added some rolls of fly paper next to it and that helps rid the poulation that much more.
    Mount these "away" since they smell like a rottin carcass if you get near it. That's really attractive to a fly...

WR2E likes this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have any pictures ?

These traps are way cool.

upload_2020-7-2_16-31-2.jpeg

KF5RRF, K8PG, KA4DPO and 1 other person like this.
  3. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are nasty smelling at the start and they never get less odorous but they do work.

KQ0J and KA4DPO like this.
  4. N8AFT

Google Rescue Fly Traps...
    They make a mid sized and a large "Big Bag"....

5. N8AFT

Best bet is to hang yours away from the house and walkways.
    Agn, In Full Sun positioning works extremely better!

W4IOA likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is attracting the flies to your location in the first place?

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently a rotten carcass. :eek:

A couple years in a row, we had a dead possum in our yard. The stench was overwhelming! I almost puked each time when scooping it up and burying it.

8. N8AFT

Um... you have NO flies in your neighborhood??
    Wow.
    Flies are disease vectors that should be dead flies...
    The dry climate you have in Colorado is likely why you don't have any problems with flies
    or mosquitos..
    The fly trap has the attractant.
    That is what makes it work.
    You have to lure the pest to kill the pest.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
    NL7W likes this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was a genuine question.

Sure, we have some around the house but not enough to put out a trap. When we had horses it was a different story, and needed traps at the barn. It’s impossible to completely avoid flies even with twice a day manure pick up.

As you say, climate is likely a factor in general prevalence.

10. N8AFT

I have relatives living in Wisconsin. My inlaws who visit their daughter there in the summer months have said they need to literally run to and from their car to avoid the many many skeeters there. They get a lotta rain there too so skeeters thrive.
    Call this morbid curiosity but I'm finding it quite eye opening the abundance of these pests that I've trapped and have taken out of circulation... I never would have or did I ever imagine what I'm seeing. Pretty much I'm surrounded by "city", no dead animals or waste in sight...
    I wonder just how large of a flight range area common and bottle "blue" flies have.
    How sensetive is their olfactory equipment?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020