Has your CW rig turned into a white noise machine?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KD7ICW, Jun 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine seems to have.

I thought we were on the beginning upside of all things Sunspot related.

Hopefully it's just the calm before the storm.

Also, does anyone else hear what seems to be faint sigs in the white noise sometimes and upon closer inspection it turns out it's just your brain imagining things?

Perhaps it's just me, I may be going crazy.

73 friends, hope things pick up soon.

dit dit

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear cw everywhere!

WB5YUZ likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No worries here - ALL are working fine with tons of CW heard.

I won't bother to list all the rigs - but just sayin' at least here near Seattle, no issues

Dave
    W7UUU

KD7ICW likes this.
  4. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I only roll around on 10m and 20m because that's what I have antennas for and I get quite a few CW signals on both. 10m for me is mostly S America. 40 is fast enough code that I miss just enough to feel inadequate. I think mostly central US and some Canada from what I'm able to copy.

5. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

What kind of rig are you using?

6. KD7ICW

KD7ICW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Yaesu an Elecraft and an LCD MTR3B

I was mainly trying to say in the OP that the bands seem to have been really dead the last few days, I've not heard much CW action.

N8AFT and KL7KN like this.
  7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find more es more that the time of day, esp on 40, has much bearing on the lack of activity.
    CW is an old man's mode for the better part and meal times, activity doing outdoor things and of course "Nap Time" enter into the equation....
    I'm hving a ball CW on 30m lately... FD weekend coming so I bet you get yer ears full of code over that time period... 72 / 73

W5BIB likes this.
  8. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to visit Detroit on business often. On the way to the airport I would drive over some rumble strips that would, well, transmit "C C R".

I also hear my dishwasher and refrigerator trying to communicate in CW from time to time but they are crummy senders and I can't decode their conversations.

KD7ICW likes this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Suprising how much more "In Tune" we are during and after learning code...

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

WS9K likes this.
  10. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hee hee. I mentioned that phenomenon to a ham while rag chewing. Almost immediately, his wife came in and he had to go. Hee hee.
    Yes. Two of us are crazy. If your brain is trying to decode noise, it's because you spend too much time DXing. Turn back the RF gain and ragchew.
    If you insist on listening to the white noise, and you hear the phantom, spin the knob. If the tone sounds the same, then you are having another attack. grin.

KD7ICW and K5DH like this.