Has WRTC run its course?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

If logs are be default “open” to the public, then why do the FCC rules for selected other services (such as broadcasting) mandate that certain portions of the log be made open to the public? Wouldn’t that be redundant?

Does it not then follow that if the rules do not mandate that logs (or portions thereof) be made public, they are private?

SDR recordings from the RBN or equivalent (which are a relatively recent phenomenon) at the moment are only practical for CW and some digital modes. Not voice. (And errors can occur, especially on CW when the station sending is sending by hand) Regardless, it does not follow that all transmissions are received somewhere by a remote receiver. Furthermore, the issue is not the log of a remote station and what it receives, but the log of the station transmitting.

Another argument in favor of open logs was that it would aid “research” and save the “researchers” from the hassle of requesting permission from each station to use their log as a data source. Which implies that the logs are private, and control thereof belong to the station or station owner. And why shouldn’t the owner of the log be aware of what his or her logs are being used for and why? Why would it be so detrimental for a “researcher” to ask permission? Even if that’s not required by law or standard procedure, isn’t it the proper thing to do in the first place?

That many contest organizers now require one to sign away their privacy rights to enter the contest imply that those rights were there in the first place? If there is no right to privacy, then why include the stipulation?

Now if someone disagrees and has no issues signing away their rights, that’s their business. I may not agree with it, but I respect someone else’s right to make a mistake. As many have pointed out in many threads, this is just a hobby for the majority of us. I simply argues against MANDATORY open logs. I believed and still believe that someone who disagrees with the concept of mandatory open logs should have the right to decline... and that right should be respected by the contest organizers. It should not be held against them.

So ask yourself Rich, why did you not ever read these comments in more detail on the Contest reflector? Either from me or from others? Because they were censored. They were blocked by one or moderators from passing through the reflector. (You are aware that all messages to that reflector are moderated and must be approved, right?)

You won’t read those type of comments from me in the future on the reflector either. I was informed by the moderators that either I immediately cease and desist from ALL open log discussions, or I would be permanently banned from the reflector. At the time, I thought there was enough other information on the reflector that was worth it. Considering how one-sided it has become on certain issues over the last few years, I’m not so sure,

I still enjoy the competitive on-air side of contesting. I just no longer bother to send in a log. And when I get emails demanding I submit a log, they go right to the bit bucket. Much more enjoyment on the air that way.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

At the end of the day, it's just another radio contest. It is about as interesting as watching paint dry and about as dorky as you can get. It never fails to amuse me that they call it "Radio Sport". I have never heard anyone call chess a sport, or poker a sport, or any other sit on you butt activity a sport. I really don't care about any contest at all anymore, just a bunch of nerds eating sandwiches and playing radio. The best part is that they actually brag about it, they don't even get that the average Joe would think they were major geeks, and laugh at them behind their backs.

I would much rather work someone who has similar interests and speaks English as a first language. For me switching on the radio and talking with another ham about things we enjoy is a relaxing thing to do. Contesting, to me at least, is a hectic, boring, tiring, waste of time, YMMV but for me, I'll just stick to casual operating when the mood strikes me.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Talk about the mother of all run-on sentences...

From the WRTC web site "History" page:

Background
    Amateur radio is a unique passion of all ages, with the radio spectrum providing a playing field for technical innovation and global human communication in pursuit of giving 4 million amateur radio operators a chance to experience telecommunications as a way of life and a source of technological innovation, taking our wonderful world a step closer to better and more human communication – or just simply, connecting people.

:eek:

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and KA4DPO like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I earned a letter in Debate in high school - needless to say, I never bought a Letterman Jacket for those very reasons :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and KA4DPO like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You should have bought a Letterman jacket while he was still on Late Night. :)

W7UUU likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, it has happened. There was even talk about adding chess, and bridge, to the Olympics sometime ago. More recently, video games.

I don't think it'll ever happen. The opposite, removing modalities, is more likely due to the the increasing costs of hosting the games, and the fact that some of them do not bring any money at all in.

It's all about the money, keep that always in mind.

Sorry for the diversion.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I RELIGIOUSLY avoid any or all such contests, etc.. It took me SEVEN years to get WAS (confirmed by physical QSL card.) I would have qualified electronically in two days.
    WHY did it take so long?

I guess I'm old school, and while the FINAL close of a contact, AFTER "73," is a QSL card, unless it is not needed by both ops. I'm a bit more lenient, and I will not normally send a QSL for a stateside contact unless requested. If I receive a QSL card, anywhere, any band, I will send one back, as long as it in my (paper) log. I'll also automatically QSL any satellite or DX contact on 6 Meters or above.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Letterman was on "Late Night?" Guess I've been watching too much other things... Like Discover Channel, or Science, or National Geographic, or Smithsonian Channel... Sorry I missed it.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess you could tell them...the dog ate it.

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hosted it from February 1982 to June 1993. Then he changed networks and started hosting the Late Show until he retired a few years ago.