Has WRTC run its course?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0HB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but some improvements were made, which now seem to be regressing. As others stated, its a shame there is not more consideration and consistency in rules that have been accepted as working between hosts.

Progress in participation growth and diversity made by addressing geo-fairness or attracting others (youth) seems unfortunately offset with alienation and loss of others. With a little more care I think that could be done in a non zero-sum manner.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Such "casual" participation, or as my buds call "making a cameo appearance" :rolleyes: is actually a vital part of contesting for those more serious. Your limited number of QSO's are an important bonus as they are not spread across the larger field who are mostly working each other.

KS2G likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Indeed, but make sure it's more than a couple of QSOs, or the contest robot may disqualify it. Anybody knows how many times a callsign needs to appear for the robot to 'accept' it as a valid 'participant'?

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Or submit the unique QSO's as a check-log :p

5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Somewhere I read it was 10 (I read it on the internet so it must be true!)

Even if not 10, I use that as my own number: if I don't plan to work at least 10 stations in a given contest, I won't work anyone.

Dave
    W7UUU

K4AGO and K4PIH like this.
  6. VA3VF

That's the best way for the "incidentals" not to get 'soiled' by the contesting experience.:D But does it address the 'unique' appearance situation?

7. VA3VF

Funny you mention 10 QSOs, as it's the same number of QSOs I try to make as a minimum.

But you 'confirmed' it on the internet, so yes, it must be true, regardless of Abe Lincoln's warning.;)

K4AGO, WU8Y, KC8VWM and 1 other person like this.
  8. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

The existence of uniques is not going to kill someone's log. Uniques happen all the time - and are legitimate.

If you have a log of 1000 QSOs and 50 uniques, then the contest sponsor begins to wonder. If you have 1000 QSOs and 5 uniques, the sponsor is probably going to see those as possibly valid.

9. VA3VF

There used to be contests that penalized these kinds of situations, not only with the removal of the contact points, but with additional point deductions. The 'unique' can be a true unique or a wrong callsign. I think they are treated differently, but I'm not sure.

Bringing it back to the WRTC discussion, if memory serves, the edition covered by the book mentioned earlier, was decided on uniques, was it not? I would have to check the book again.

10. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't remember it coming down to uniques. the final results were quite close - Dan/Chris and the OM team both had about a 1% error rate and the winning score differential was about 4%.